PDA

View Full Version : Corian Counter Top

Don Hardman
04-27-2009, 4:29 PM
Hi everyone, I am working on a small cabinet and counter top project in my Airstream trailer. The cabinet area is sound and level and is 46" by 39". I have a piece 1/2 of Courian that I have cut to these measurements and I have made a cut out for an undermount sink. I am going to install the Courian over a 1/2 sub top that will be securely attached to my cabinet. I have cut a rabbet around the edge of the sink cut out in the ply wood so that the sink edge is flush with the plywood and the back side of the Courian when joined. My question, what should I use to bond the Courian to the plywood sub top. Thanks for any input.

Don

Tom Klass
04-27-2009, 8:25 PM
blob some clear silicone in verious locations on the substraight, set the counter top on it and let it sit for 24 hrs. it should cure and you won't be able to move it.

Keith Outten
04-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Make sure you use silicone adhesive not silicone caulk.

Ken Dolph
04-28-2009, 9:30 AM
Always use 100% Silicone. Many products have other additives. These will not work as well as 100%.

I hope this helps

Bill White
04-28-2009, 11:48 AM
There is also a specific adhesive for CORIAN. Actually chemically bonds (melts) the stuff. Remember that Corian and, all other acryllic tops, will scratch. Had it in our last home and would not use it again.
Bill

Tom Godley
04-29-2009, 7:22 AM
You can use almost any good construction adhesive or silicone to attach the Corian to the plywood base. I have used Corian for table tops and other built in projects over the years -- a couple of "dots" placed around is all you need. You want to make sure to get adhesive that is not too thick so the Corian will sit flat and tight to the plywood base. Some of the low VOC construction products are thicker than the typical solvent type and I had a little trouble working with one a few weeks ago.

For the sink you can use a silicone product or one specifically labeled for sink installation.

If the sink is also Corian you will need to get the Corian epoxy for a flawless seam.

Good luck -- I love the stuff!