PDA

View Full Version : Some of the turning tools are on the way...

David Hostetler
04-27-2009, 4:08 PM
Okay, if you folks recall my prior post about the new lathe. I went ahead with the PSI 8pc HSS lathe chisel set and the caliper set I had linked to. (as well as some non lathe related items).

So now I have a dumb question...

How best to store the lathe tools?

I've seen quite a few of these lathes in various shop tours, and pretty much everybody mounts plywood between the spreaders to create a shelf, and stores their stuff there. I am not crazy about that idea mostly as it is just, well, too prone to getting filled with shavings... So my brain bucket started churning, and I don't know if I am stumbing on brilliance, or stupidity....

What about mounting up a piece of peg board, or plywood to the front of the lathe, and setting up some broom clips for the chisels, and pegs for the layout / measuring stuff?

In the long run, I am planning on building a cabinet with plenty of drawers for storing my lathe, and other tools that would fit there. That would give me the added benefit of more mass to the lathe workstation... I am thinking about the here and now until I can turn a few round tuits... (That was my Dad's favorite turning project...)

John Fricke
04-27-2009, 6:35 PM
David
If you want something real cheap and temporary one of the best solutions I've seen is a bucket filled with links of 1 1/2" - 2" (Depending on how fat your handles are) pieces of pvc pipe. Each tool has it's own piece of pipe, they are kept separated, just place them in handle down so you can see which tool you are grabbing.

David Hostetler
04-27-2009, 9:54 PM
Sweet idea... Thanks!

Ryan Baker
04-27-2009, 10:52 PM
I rack mine up on the wall (mostly). Mount a ledge on the wall for the base of the handles to sit on. Then use the strong strip magnets (from the storage section at Sears, etc.) to hold the tool shafts at the top. Easy to grab a tool and go.