PDA

View Full Version : Double request LED & x1 clipart please :)

Jani Pedersen
04-27-2009, 3:33 PM
:o

I'm sorry to ask for two things at once - but here goes !

Firstly, a quickie, does anyone happen to have a cdr or vector etc of a ukulele please ? I want / need to vector cut one. Thankyou

Secondly: My sister runs a charity store for a local hospice which is celebrating its 30th birthday. She has asked me if I can do a few things for their window display - no problem, except that I am going away on Thursday for two weeks and need to get something done relatively quickly for her.

I have acrylic sheets and love the idea of engraving their logo ( two hands cupping, one hand below supporting ) onto a sheet with led lights below it.

I have seen threads in the Creek about this process, but I am so short on time I don't have the time to go through them all to find one which will give me the low down on how to do this.

If you have written a thread which explains the process, could you possibly put your link into this thread for me please ?

I know nothing about it. Have no idea how to start, but I have nothing to lose in having a go. I do my utmost to support charities and would love to offer something a little different this time around.

I also don't know where to get the led lights themselves - if anyone has a link for the UK market I'd be more than grateful. ( Actually I have just thought of somewhere, I'll check it out, but any other links would be fab )

Thankyou for reading :D

Dee Gallo
04-27-2009, 4:06 PM
Jani,

You might want to contact Jim Good, a Creeker here who supplies LED bases of all kinds. Just look at his contact info to PM him. I use his 5" bases all the time and they are great! Plus his prices are excellent.

If your logo is a line drawing, it's simple:
1. Create the line drawing in CorelDraw using a decent sized line of 1-2 points if you can go that thick. You can scan the logo and use the drawing tools to trace easily.
2. If you want to go the extra mile, create a shaped outline around the logo with a hairline for vector cutting.
3. Send to your laser. I use cast acrylic, which gives me a better appearance. Refer to your manual for settings, as they vary with machine and thickness of material. Remove the top paper before you laser, and the bottom one after.

Depending on the size of the base, you have to make sure the acrylic thickness will match the "trench" it will sit in. However, today I did one with 1/8" that was going to be a little too thick and I just rastered a 1/2" area at the bottom (4 times) to cut away the excess. It worked fine.

Good luck with your charity work, who knows where it will lead you!

cheers, dee

Jim Good
04-27-2009, 5:09 PM
Jani,

Send me your physical address to: jim dot good at a2zengraving dot com

We can get you going. If you hurry, I can get something out today for you.

Jim

Also, can you attach the logo? I'd like to see the colors and the graphics. Thanks!

Jani Pedersen
04-27-2009, 6:45 PM
Jim,

Thankyou so much, I have emailed you my address and the log. I really appreciate you helping me out here :)

Dee,

Thankyou for replying and your suggestion ! I've seen some of your work with leds and am mightily impressed - I look forward to having a go myself !

Many thanks to both of you.

Stuart Orrell
04-28-2009, 6:54 AM
Hi Jani,

I was also asking about UK available LED bases in the "LED edge lit Wedding Gift and Thanks" thread. I got this link from Dave http://www.ledsignlighting.co.uk/led-edge-lighting-systems.htm

It maybe usefull for you roo. He did say that they're a bit on the pricy side at £25.00

Don't know if it helps you out in the time frame that you need though.

Good Luck!