PDA

View Full Version : Paslode Cordless Framing Nailer

Todd Crawford
04-27-2009, 2:26 PM
Just ordered a Paslode Cordless Framing Nailer (Impulse) for a couple of small projects I have coming up. Has anyone had any experience with these concerning nails that are compatable other than the Paslode nails? Thanks for the help guys.

Larry Edgerton
04-27-2009, 3:35 PM
I just stick with the Paslode nails. Generics don't always fit. The price difference is not worth the hassle and questionable quality. If you can't afford the nails that fit the gun.........

Todd Crawford
04-27-2009, 3:51 PM
Never said I couldn't afford the Paslode nails, BUT if there is something else out there that others have found to work just as well, then I see no need in paying the extra cash. That is all this post was about. Thanks for your help.

Larry Edgerton
04-27-2009, 4:12 PM
If you didn't want to hear an opinion that was not what you wanted to hear, you shouldn't have asked.

ITW is responsible for making sure their nails meet specs, and in turn I am responsible for my work work meeting specs, both from a legal and ethical standpoint. I stick with the known properties of ITW fasteners made for their guns.

Whofucu Nail Company does not care about specs, or that their nails cause damage to your gun, or that you have down time when they jamb, or that the nails are not as strong as they should be, or that when wet they come apart and all your saving just went down the drain.

No, all they care is that they stole an American design and were able to ship X number of junk nails to our shores in the last fiscal period.

Your call..........

Todd Crawford
04-27-2009, 4:21 PM
Didn't have an opinion to start off with, so there is no way you could have presented an opinion that disagreed with my opinion because I don't have one. I asked for experinces with other type of fastners other than Paslode fastners and you formed an opinion that I couldn't afford Paslode nails. My local hardware store does not stock Paslode nails, but carries a variety of other nails. I have 8,000 Paslode nails on the way, but I was concerned about not having to drive 40 miles to the closest store that carries Paslodes during crunch time. Also, I thought that there may be a chance that there is another quality product out there that someone has found that works in these guns that may be cheaper. I see people posting all the time about deals they find and how this part fits this machine even though it's made for something else. That was my only reason for asking. Once again, thanks for letting me know that the Paslode nails work the best. I really appreciate it.

Larry Edgerton
04-27-2009, 4:43 PM
Actually that comment was not intended to be mean spirited, but I suppose it did come out that way. My apologies...

Check your phone book and see if you have a "Fasteners" franchise in your area. I think they are nation wide, but not positive. They handle ITW products and will deliver to your door when in your area, and they can service your guns as well. They do my air guns free here, but not the Impulse. I have used them for twenty years and at least the three franchises that I dealt with were all first rate.

Later.....

Todd Crawford
04-27-2009, 4:48 PM
We have "Fastenal" here.... Not sure if they are connected to "Fastners" or not, but that is a good idea. I will definitely check with them as they are less than a mile from work. Hadn't even thought about them. Thanks for the suggestion. No harm with the comment... It's always harder to tell what someone meant when reading, rather than talking. Thanks again for the advice.

Kevin Camp
04-27-2009, 6:10 PM
I just bought the paslode 18g brad nailer. Contractor dude at Home Depot.....:oyikes......said that he's used the porter cable nails and worked fine. He assured me there's no reason to seek out the paslode brand nails so I bought a box of the 1 3/4".

However, I haven't yet found a project to try them on so I won't say this is a for sure thing - just wanted to pass along what this guy said.

Thomas Williams
04-27-2009, 6:36 PM
I wore out one Impulse framer and have a second well broken in. I never had any real problems with generic nails. Of course the generic nails I used were from reputable suppliers so I don't recall using any nails from "Whofucu Nail Company".
By the way, the gas cartridges will go flat if they are not used in a reasonable time. This is why I do not use the Impulse for the occasional project around the house.

dan lemkin
04-27-2009, 8:41 PM
That is my experience as well. I got the framer to do a fence and it worked beautifully... then i pulled it out about a year later (to rebuild a crate for return shipping) and it misfired like crazy. I called paslode and the tech support guy said "How old is your cartridge" It was about a year past its expiration... Threw in another I had laying around (only 6 months past due) and it worked fine....

So factor 1 cartridge per project or 6 months, which ever is longer...