PDA

View Full Version : Linseed Oil w/Lacquer finish?

jay case
04-27-2009, 2:13 PM
Im finishing a QS white oak chair for a natural finish.

I have Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO) and thought I would just rub it over with BLO a few times to bring out the grain and then spray a lacquer finish on it. I would spray lacquer since Im already doing 3 other chairs at the same time.

Do you see any problem with lacquer over BLO. If so, what oil would you recommend?

Todd Burch
04-27-2009, 3:45 PM
Lacquer over BLO is fine. When I'm in a hurry, I'll do 3 coats of BLO in a day, only wiping off the last coat. The next morning, the lacquer, on she goes.

I thin the BLO with 50/50 mineral spirits. Any 'ol brand of BLO will work.

Stephen Massman
04-27-2009, 3:59 PM
Can you do the same thing over danish oil.

Todd Burch
04-27-2009, 5:47 PM
Danish oil isn't really an oil, but a blend of old and varnish. You could try it on a test piece, but it would sort of be like putting lacquer over straight varnish, or varnish over polyurethane, or poly over lacquer, etc.

Julian Nicks
04-27-2009, 5:52 PM
Danish oil is just varnish mixed with blo along with some thinners. I would think it's fine, but I don't like the idea of poly under laquer. Just stick to real BLO or tung oil.

Jim Becker
04-27-2009, 8:02 PM
It would be very risky to put solvent based lacquer over a varnish...they are not really compatible and you could get some nasty crazing. It's fine over the oil, however.

jay case
04-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Lacquer over BLO is fine. When I'm in a hurry, I'll do 3 coats of BLO in a day, only wiping off the last coat. The next morning, the lacquer, on she goes.

I thin the BLO with 50/50 mineral spirits. Any 'ol brand of BLO will work.
Very good. I try the dilution and give it a whirl.
thanks