PDA

View Full Version : Is It "Art?"

George Guadiane
04-27-2009, 1:27 PM
I used these two "scrap" pieces of walnut so that I could measure the diameter of the piece...
I walked away from it to answer the question about the dimensions...
When I came back, I looked at it and saw this as a unit, a complete thought, as a serendipitous artistic outcome.
IS IT art?
10 1/2 high by 7 1/2 diameter "Blue Boy" dyed cherry vase with walnut pillars.

David Hostetler
04-27-2009, 1:35 PM
Define "art" and you will have your answer...

According to http://www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com/) the word "art" is defined as...

1. the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance. 2. the class of objects subject to aesthetic criteria; works of art collectively, as paintings, sculptures, or drawings: a museum of art; an art collection. 3. a field, genre, or category of art: Dance is an art. 4. the fine arts collectively, often excluding architecture: art and architecture. 5. any field using the skills or techniques of art: advertising art; industrial art. 6. (in printed matter) illustrative or decorative material: Is there any art with the copy for this story? 7. the principles or methods governing any craft or branch of learning: the art of baking; the art of selling. 8. the craft or trade using these principles or methods. 9. skill in conducting any human activity: a master at the art of conversation. 10. a branch of learning or university study, esp. one of the fine arts or the humanities, as music, philosophy, or literature.
As the object in question is defined by one or more of these definitions, I would say yes...

Is it "good" art would be an altogether ambiguous matter as what constitutes good art is a matter of personal, not dictionary definition. What is aesthetically pleasing to one person is objectionable to another.

FWIW, my degree is in fine art and I was deans list, among other honors (Phi Theta Kappa etc...), and even college courses on the subject didn't do much to clear up the question of what is good art...

Mike Svoma
04-27-2009, 1:40 PM
I would say yes.....with one caviot. The words walnut and scrap shouldn't be used in the same sentence.;););)

Dave Ogren
04-27-2009, 1:44 PM
George,

Seems that I have heard some thing about soup. I surely wouldn't put soup in yours, must be art. Very nice job. Thanks for showing it to us.

Dave

Cody Colston
04-27-2009, 2:04 PM
Is it art?

To some people, sure. To me, the vessel by itself is art. It needs no embellishment, gimmic or scraps to define it. "Blueboy" is perfect as a turned work of art.

Michelangelo's "David", the Mona Lisa, a Stradivarius violin, one of Steve Schlumpf's SW hollow forms, that's what I think of as art.

A broken down Cadillac half buried in the dirt...maybe art to some but not to me.

Allen Neighbors
04-27-2009, 2:13 PM
What Cody said. :D

Bill Bolen
04-27-2009, 2:26 PM
"Blue Boy" is mighty pretty all on its own George. Sorry, the two blocks just don't work for me, but,,,thats just me...Bill..

Mike Minto
04-27-2009, 2:52 PM
george, i'd say it works either way. the vase is beautiful, and stands by itself as a work of art. with the walnut 'surrounds', i can see it as an 'avant-garde', statement kind of work. some people will like it one way, and some the other; some will appreciate both. if it pleases you, that's the most important thing, i believe; let it say what it will to the observer. mike (i may not know art, but i know i like ice cream). ;)

Mark Burge
04-27-2009, 3:11 PM
Sometimes we see a curve more clearly in the juxtaposition of a straight line. I think that is what this piece does well. The other thing it has going for it is it's technical execution. That is also impeccable. The first thing, in my opinion, is the art. It makes me experience the piece in a new way - it makes me think. The second part, also in my opinion, is the craft. That part is what we talk about most of the time here - how did you do it? what's it made of? etc. So..

To the first part: Nice piece of art.
To the second part: Nice HF, great finish, well done on the blocks of walnut.

- Mark

alex carey
04-27-2009, 4:03 PM
I think David is right. Define art and you will have your answer. I am part of the philosophy club at school and for one of the discussions a teacher brought in the question of what is art. He showed us a picture of a black dot which is in a museum and is considered by many to be contemporary art. At first I revolted at the idea. How could this be art? In the past art has always had a standard. The more and more modern you go it seems that just about anything can be called art.

Case in point.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4059997.stm

If this is art then what you made is definitely art.

BTW, by the end of an hour we still hadn't agreed upon a definition for art and we had about 20 new questions and about 50 words that needed definitions....The Life of a philosopher.

Alex

Paul Engle
04-27-2009, 4:50 PM
Spot on George, the contrast of color/s and shape/s may have more meaning than you imagine .... and it's " your" imagination that brings out the " Art " . Nice work indeed when we can " see " what you see. :D

Scott Lux
04-27-2009, 4:58 PM
Just remember that one question every philosophy major asks, "Do you want fries with that?" :D

Bernie Weishapl
04-27-2009, 6:28 PM
Beautiful George. I could take it either way. No such thing as walnut scraps.:D

Bob Hallowell
04-27-2009, 8:52 PM
I think it was Pete Jordan that had a man tell him once"He knew Art, he works at the gas station"

Bob

Richard Madison
04-27-2009, 8:59 PM
George,
As is, it's a piece of art between two blocks. Perhaps the act of placing the blocks would be considered performance art by some. If the hf were supported one inch (more or less) above the surface by some s.s. rods to the blocks, it would be art. If you had a great story telling "what it means" or what inspired it, it would be art. And some more like that.

Clearly art is in the preception of the viewer, but it was a fun question. Hope you posted this on WoW.

Steve Schlumpf
04-28-2009, 11:30 AM
George, I keep coming back to this - trying to figure out how to put into words what it is I feel about the piece.

Is it art? To me, not yet. It lacks relationship - meaning, at this point, the walnut has nothing to do with the hollow form. I am sure the lack of that same relationship alone would qualify it as art to some.

This is where opinion kicks in... I feel the piece would offer more if the walnut mimicked the hollow form. An example would be the sides of the walnut closest to the hollow form are shaped to mirror the outline of the hollow form. The walnut would then effectively frame the hollow form - which is the center piece after all.

Another option would be to attach the hollow form to the walnut such that the form is suspended an inch or so off the ground and possibly rotated slightly forward to show the opening. The walnut then becomes functional as well as a component part of the art.

Like I said....... just opinion. I do like the hollow form - great shape - just not sure about the art question. Thought provoking none the less! Thanks for posting!

Bob Hallowell
04-28-2009, 11:34 AM
George, I keep coming back to this - trying to figure out how to put into words what it is I feel about the piece.

Is it art? To me, not yet. It lacks relationship - meaning, at this point, the walnut has nothing to do with the hollow form. I am sure the lack of that same relationship alone would qualify it as art to some.

This is where opinion kicks in... I feel the piece would offer more if the walnut mimicked the hollow form. An example would be the sides of the walnut closest to the hollow form are shaped to mirror the outline of the hollow form. The walnut would then effectively frame the hollow form - which is the center piece after all.

Another option would be to attach the hollow form to the walnut such that the form is suspended an inch or so off the ground and possibly rotated slightly forward to show the opening. The walnut then becomes functional as well as a component part of the art.

Like I said....... just opinion. I do like the hollow form - great shape - just not sure about the art question. Thought provoking none the less! Thanks for posting!

Steve funny you should mention the suspending part, I have a peice drawn up on paper doing just that. I just haven't had time to make it yet.

Bob

George Guadiane
04-28-2009, 12:58 PM
FIRST, let me say THANK YOU to everyone for jumping in on this one, I really appreciate your thoughts, feelings and insights!

Define "art" and you will have your answer...

According to http://www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com/) the word "art" is defined as...

1. the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance. 2. the class of objects subject to aesthetic criteria; works of art collectively, as paintings, sculptures, or drawings: a museum of art; an art collection. 3. a field, genre, or category of art: Dance is an art. 4. the fine arts collectively, often excluding architecture: art and architecture. 5. any field using the skills or techniques of art: advertising art; industrial art. 6. (in printed matter) illustrative or decorative material: Is there any art with the copy for this story? 7. the principles or methods governing any craft or branch of learning: the art of baking; the art of selling. 8. the craft or trade using these principles or methods. 9. skill in conducting any human activity: a master at the art of conversation. 10. a branch of learning or university study, esp. one of the fine arts or the humanities, as music, philosophy, or literature.
As the object in question is defined by one or more of these definitions, I would say yes...

Is it "good" art would be an altogether ambiguous matter as what constitutes good art is a matter of personal, not dictionary definition. What is aesthetically pleasing to one person is objectionable to another.

FWIW, my degree is in fine art and I was deans list, among other honors (Phi Theta Kappa etc...), and even college courses on the subject didn't do much to clear up the question of what is good art...

YIKES - I had to read a lot to get to "yes." I think I asked the wrong question. Perhaps it should have been - "Is it better?" or salable or???
An educated opinion is always appreciated!

I would say yes.....with one caviot. The words walnut and scrap shouldn't be used in the same sentence.;););)

Point taken

george, i'd say it works either way. the vase is beautiful, and stands by itself as a work of art. with the walnut 'surrounds', i can see it as an 'avant-garde', statement kind of work. some people will like it one way, and some the other; some will appreciate both. if it pleases you, that's the most important thing, i believe; let it say what it will to the observer. mike (i may not know art, but i know i like ice cream). ;)

I like ice cream too! :D

Sometimes we see a curve more clearly in the juxtaposition of a straight line. I think that is what this piece does well. The other thing it has going for it is it's technical execution. That is also impeccable. The first thing, in my opinion, is the art. It makes me experience the piece in a new way - it makes me think. The second part, also in my opinion, is the craft. That part is what we talk about most of the time here - how did you do it? what's it made of? etc. So..

To the first part: Nice piece of art.
To the second part: Nice HF, great finish, well done on the blocks of walnut.

- Mark

My thoughts were that the lines of each element enhanced the other... That's why I wanted to get all of your thoughts too.

I think David is right. Define art and you will have your answer. I am part of the philosophy club at school and for one of the discussions a teacher brought in the question of what is art. He showed us a picture of a black dot which is in a museum and is considered by many to be contemporary art. At first I revolted at the idea. How could this be art? In the past art has always had a standard. The more and more modern you go it seems that just about anything can be called art.

Case in point.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4059997.stm

If this is art then what you made is definitely art.

BTW, by the end of an hour we still hadn't agreed upon a definition for art and we had about 20 new questions and about 50 words that needed definitions....The Life of a philosopher.

Alex

Definition of terms is a cornerstone to understanding and one of the things I value most in a worthwhile conversation...
Not sure I like the "comparison" of this to a urinal with a signature. But it's certainly fair as a means of trying to define "is it art."

Spot on George, the contrast of color/s and shape/s may have more meaning than you imagine .... and it's " your" imagination that brings out the " Art " . Nice work indeed when we can " see " what you see. :D

I really like how you put that. Makes me more confident of whatever decision I end up making.

Just remember that one question every philosophy major asks, "Do you want fries with that?" :D

Yes please - and can I have a job application? :cool:

I think it was Pete Jordan that had a man tell him once"He knew Art, he works at the gas station"

Bob

Are there any jobs open there??? :(

George,
As is, it's a piece of art between two blocks. Perhaps the act of placing the blocks would be considered performance art by some. If the hf were supported one inch (more or less) above the surface by some s.s. rods to the blocks, it would be art. If you had a great story telling "what it means" or what inspired it, it would be art. And some more like that.

Clearly art is in the preception of the viewer, but it was a fun question. Hope you posted this on WoW.

Did post on WOW, got good responses there too!
This is as "enhanced as I want to get (for now).

Thank you for such deep consideration. In looking at it, as it stands, the only further enhancement I might make is to find pieces where the grain curves in the walnut, to mimic the form of the vase, or to run out, away from that line.

Steve funny you should mention the suspending part, I have a peice drawn up on paper doing just that. I just haven't had time to make it yet.

Bob
Be sure and post a picture or 5

alex carey
04-28-2009, 1:20 PM
George, in my opinion what you made is about 400,000,000,000,000,000,000 times better than that urinal.