PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Makita LS1221 CMS?

James Carmichael
08-04-2004, 11:53 AM
Just wondering if anyone was familiar with this saw, it appears Lowes is clearing out all of their Makita power tools. I stopped by yesterday and they had it marked down to $209, plus I think it's got the Makita 5" ROS rebate.

Ken Garlock
08-04-2004, 12:01 PM
James, if the LS1221 is like its smaller bother, LS1013, it is a winner. I have had my LS1013 for about three years, and although it does not get heavy use, it is still dead on at 90 deg, and 45 deg both sides. The blade is also 90 deg to the table. That is pretty darn good.

My opinion is RUN, DO NOT WALK, back to Lowes and get that machine :cool:

larry merlau
08-04-2004, 12:11 PM
Just wondering if anyone was familiar with this saw, it appears Lowes is clearing out all of their Makita power tools. I stopped by yesterday and they had it marked down to $209, plus I think it's got the Makita 5" ROS rebate.

not sure of the model i am using now but will check tonight and get back with you. itas the sweetest cms i have ever used. its a ten inch slide version and is abreeze to use and the orignal balde is top quality. glass smooth cuts. it was around $450 with a free cordless drill threw amazon.

James Carmichael
08-04-2004, 3:24 PM
The one I'm looking at is not a slider, Larry. Here's a link to the description:

http://www.makitatools.com/Tools_Item_View.asp?id=340

Ian MacDonald
08-05-2004, 1:37 AM
Hi James,

I've got the LS1220 which I've had for a couple of years. I think mine is virtually identical to the LS1221. It's a really great saw. Especially for that price.

I've never had any other CMS so I can't really compare it to other saws. Dust collection is adequate although not great, but I guess that's the case with most of these saws. I usually keep my shop vacuum attached which does an OK job.

The table swings very smoothly and the miter detents are accurate without any slop. The saw holds it adjustment settings which I've never had to recalibrate.

I added a Forrest ChopMaster shortly after I got the saw which I highly recommend if you can swing it. It makes glass smooth cuts. (I know in this case it'd be about half again the cost of the saw. ;) )

Hope this helps.

Regards,

-- Ian

Tyler Howell
08-05-2004, 7:37 AM
I have the LS 1013 and if it is even close you got a real find there.:D I'm a big turquoise fan but I am find differences between a drill and a drill:eek: . One modal (same cordless voltage) is a lot different than the other. Home handyman vs pro. Good shopping!
;)

James Carmichael
08-05-2004, 7:38 AM
Thanks for the input guys. The saw did come home with me last night. ;)