PDA

View Full Version : Bench Vise Suggestions

Jerry Murray
04-27-2009, 1:11 PM
I went to HF today and picked up a 9" wood bench vise. This doesn't come with wood inserts for the jaws.

What wood should I use as the insert jaws? Also, do I make the wood to be flush with the top or what?

Thanks

Thomas Stephenson
04-27-2009, 1:38 PM
Hey Jerry, I,d recommend Maple. Hears what I did I purchased 8 rare earth magnets about 1 inch in diameter and used a Forstner bit to bore a hole the same size in the back of the maple cut to the size of the face of the vise. Then glue the magnets in the holes I bored into the back of the maple and use that to attach it to the vise. Simple enough and effective as well, Good luck, Tommy

Greg Hines, MD
04-27-2009, 2:06 PM
I made mine out of MDF, and used magnets as previously suggested.

Doc

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-27-2009, 2:27 PM
I use pine board and just screw them to the jaws using the screw holes in the vice jaws. Ya need short screws.

The nice things about pine: it's unlikely to dent whatever you clamp in it, it'll deform around lots of things, and when it's all beat up it's a cinch to replace.

John Thompson
04-27-2009, 3:53 PM
After trying several... I prefer bass-wood as it it relatively soft.. compresses before the hardwood stock I work.. cheap and will not marr a piece. I cut several blanks when I make one to change as I do use the vise's often.

Sarge..

David Christopher
04-27-2009, 3:59 PM
I use leather..... it grips good and it is easy to replace

Dave Haynes
04-27-2009, 4:25 PM
Jerry....

I used Hard Maple for the jaws on my recently completed bench on the front vice. This is what the plan called for and it turned out really nice. I have used it quite a bit since then and have not been disappointed. Also, the plan I used called for the top of the jaws to be flush with the bench top. Here is a view of the front vice on my bench.

http://www.oldaveswoodshop.com/Front%20Vice%20View.JPG

If you want to see the complete bench, it can be found in the projects section of my website.

Dave

glenn bradley
04-27-2009, 4:52 PM
I used beech (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=64736&d=1179287019).