PDA

View Full Version : repairing my son's volkswagen.....

Chuck Wintle
04-27-2009, 12:08 PM
I am not against helping my son when it comes to repairing cars or whatever but this job..which started out small...has ballooned into a hugely expensive undertaking. It was only to replace some rubber bushings in the front end and we ended up replacing the struts($212), coil springs($175) in addition to the bushings($40) plus the purchase of some specialty tools etc. There must be a law somewhere that says there is no such thing as a small job? :(

Mike Henderson
04-27-2009, 1:09 PM
Ah, but just think of what it would have cost you if you had taken it to the dealer.

Mike

John Schreiber
04-27-2009, 2:36 PM
. . . There must be a law somewhere that says there is no such thing as a small job? :(
Heck, the kid himself probably weighed under 10 lbs when you got him. Think what he's cost since then.

Chuck Wintle
04-27-2009, 2:51 PM
Ah, but just think of what it would have cost you if you had taken it to the dealer.

Mike

mike,
you are absolutely right about that, at least twice the cost, so i am feeling better now. :D

Brent Leonard
04-27-2009, 3:25 PM
The value of teaching your son how to "fix" things himself is invaluable.

I love my father dearly for teaching me those things.

That being said, Cars are darn expensive to fix. I feel your pain.

Randal Stevenson
04-28-2009, 1:06 AM
There must be a law somewhere that says there is no such thing as a small job? :(

Let me introduce you to Murphy!:rolleyes:

Norman Hitt
04-28-2009, 4:05 AM
I sure understand No Small job, AND the high cost of Labor. I recently purchased an Ignition harness and 6 new spark plugs for my Daughter's V6 Explorer, (approx. $87), then I broke two ribs,:rolleyes: so, looking at the necessary bending over the fender to remove everything I would have to get off to R & R the parts, I knew that my ribs wouldn't take it. Long story short...... Labor to replace the parts, $156.:( It really seems high since I remember the old days, ie; Points, plugs & new spark plug wires for a V8 even, about $12, and there was plenty of room to change them out without having to disassemble half the car to do it.:(