PDA

View Full Version : What software

George Beck
04-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi all

I am about to venture into the area of CNC routing. I have considerable woodworking experience and new laser engraving experence and I am familiar with Corel Draw. What is the best software? I want to make 3d relief detailed carvings for enhancing woodworking projects, such as cabinets, boxes and signs. Is Artcam pro the best?(certainly expensive) or VCarve pro or Aspire? Is one easier to learn than others? What is the best recommendation for design and creating unique carvings? I would appreciate your expertise.

Thanks

George

James Jaragosky
04-27-2009, 2:21 PM
Hi all

I am about to venture into the area of CNC routing. I have considerable woodworking experience and new laser engraving experence and I am familiar with Corel Draw. What is the best software? I want to make 3d relief detailed carvings for enhancing woodworking projects, such as cabinets, boxes and signs. Is Artcam pro the best?(certainly expensive) or VCarve pro or Aspire? Is one easier to learn than others? What is the best recommendation for design and creating unique carvings? I would appreciate your expertise.

Thanks

George
If you visit the Vectric web site you can get a copy of Aspire to test out for free. it has some limitations but you can certainly get a feel for the software.
Also the Vectric support forum is top notch.
Vcarve pro will not help you with 3d work and Aspire will do everything Vcarve does.
There some things that cut 3d does better than aspire like slicing. Aspire does do slicing, cut 3d is just slight more functional in this area.

james mcgrew
04-27-2009, 2:26 PM
i have been told that aspire was born due to the fact that 80% of artcam owners never used 20% of the program, at 10.000$ a seat verses 2.000$ a seat the answer for me was obvious. i have aspire and have yet to hit it's limitations but i am sure there is one

jim

George Beck
04-27-2009, 2:35 PM
Gentlemen

Thank you for your replies. Mr Jaragosky, I see we are neighbors as I am in Fishers IN (actually my wife is from Noblesville). Mr. Mcgrew, I am great admirer of your work. I have decided on a camaster so I am sure in the near future I will be bugging you guys a lot.

Thanks

George

james mcgrew
04-27-2009, 5:56 PM
there is more to the story! one of the large software company's has a new component that will allow us to do mdf doors and dovetail drawers with out purchasing the entire program!! i have the x3 machine and whether you have three heads or not one will be abble to produce carved and mdf doors in the same setup!! welcome aboard!!

jim

Keith Outten
04-27-2009, 10:08 PM
i have been told that aspire was born due to the fact that 80% of artcam owners never used 20% of the program, at 10.000$ a seat verses 2.000$ a seat the answer for me was obvious. i have aspire and have yet to hit it's limitations but i am sure there is one

jim

I agree with Jim, the price point between ArtCam Pro and Aspire made the decision easy. I did a test drive of ArtCam version 7 a couple years ago, if they gave it away it wouldn't be of any use to me...I won't live long enough to learn to use the software. Aspire on the other hand is more user friendly so I purchased Aspire and have been dabbling with some simple 3D projects and I am really impressed at how easy it is to use.

James Jaragosky
04-28-2009, 1:08 AM
Gentlemen

Thank you for your replies. Mr Jaragosky, I see we are neighbors as I am in Fishers IN (actually my wife is from Noblesville). Mr. Mcgrew, I am great admirer of your work. I have decided on a camaster so I am sure in the near future I will be bugging you guys a lot.

Thanks

George
If you want to see aspire in action check this out in the Vectric forum;
Vectric camp will be in Bridgeton Indiana on the 16th and 17th of may.
Currently I plan to attend.
Give me a call; maybe we can car pool. 317-353-4905