PDA

View Full Version : I made my decision the deed is done

Michael Simpson Virgina
04-27-2009, 11:11 AM
I currently have three applications in mind but am sure as time passes I have others.
Application 1
---------------------

I run a small robotics company where I sell custom electronics for robotic and electronic projects. I also have a couple large industrial companies that use my electronics for various applications. I write articles for both “Nuts and Volts” and “Servo” magazines. I have been asked many times by several of my customers to offer kits of the various projects featured on my website.

In this application the machine will be used mostly in a prototyping environment with very light production. IE I will only cutout the parts on a order by order basis. Very low volume. As I spend more time prototyping parts I will add them to my inventory so to speak.

Application 2
--------------------
I am a avid woodworker as well as clockmaker. Cutting gears and small parts with a scroll saw is a real pain. I plan on some really cool clocks that I will sell in the many consignment shops near where I live.

Application 3
--------------------
I am also a photographer. Something I wanted to offer as the ability to engrave/mark ceramic tiles. This would be a very specialized area where I work on the photo/art work with the customer then create a large mural. (They would have them professionally installed)

This application would be a totally low production project as I only plan on doing a couple of these a year for very well off clients. (Read Rich) My minimum charge would be $4000. While application 1 and 2 are my love this one will probably pay for my laser in just a couple of years.

------------------------------
Ok I took the plunge and ordered my laser last week. I had a budget of no more than $20,000. I had done quite a bit of research and had narrowed the choices down to the following lasers.

Universal VLS 3.5 Desktop 50 Watt
Universal VLS 3.6 Platform 60 Watt
Universal VLS 4.6 Platform 60 Watt

Epilog Mini 24 50 Watt
Epilog Mini 24 60 Watt
Epilog Helix 60 Watt

TroTec Speedy 300
TroTec Speedy 500

Right out of the gate Trotec was eliminated. I could not even get a quote from them. They seem to have the attitude of “If you have to ask then you can’t afford us” Also they do not have a dealer in my area. I did not receive a single bit of literature regarding their product.

The best deal I could get from the Universal dealer was on the VLS 4.6 platform. He really wanted to sell me this machine. The problem was after visiting his shop for a demo I had the following issues.

1.- The machine was big. Very Big. I was going to have issues getting it into my shop. Also I would not be able to roll it from my lab into my studio area.
2.- The machine was very loud. Let me put it this way in my lab it would have been louder than my compressor and blower.
3.- The VLS machines don't offer the sensor focus. So there is no true auto focus. You can manual focus or offset focus to your calibrated table.
4.- While the driver for the ULS machines is geared toward production work it has a few flaws.
A. No 64-bit driver. This was major for me. It meant I had to dedicate a machine just for printing.
B. No network connectivity.
C. Limited length of USB cable. This is due to the fact that on ULS models the PC USB port powers some of the electronics on the machine.

I decided on the Epilog Mini24 50Watts. The dealer actually came to my location and set a mini24 in my lab. In less than 10 minutes it was on my network and we were cutting. Here are my reasons going with Epilog.

1.- As stated the Epilog dealer came to my house and spent over 5 hours with me cutting and engraving my applications. The ULS dealer never offered this.
2.- Compact and light. Can be easily moved from room to room. If I decided to to a trade show. No problem. I built my own stand (15” High) and the laser will be at a height where I can access it without getting up from my computer chair.
3.- Very reasonable noise output. While more noise than the ULS running idle it make far less noise than the ULS when running.
4.- 64-bit driver. Nuf said Epilog has it I used it. IT works.
5.- Network support. Plugged the mini into my network and all my machines had access to the laser. I could actually work on and send another job to the laser while it was cutting or engraving the current job.
6.- The epilog interface is fire and forget. Once the job is sent you can power off your PC if you wish. This is not true of the ULS interface.
7.- Total Cost. Epilog accessories are cheaper than ULS. The lenses are half the cost. While the ULS machines seem to have a lower price point certain things are not included in the base laser price. First the cutting table on the ULS is going to cost you over $1000. On the VLS4.6 the manual Air Assist is another $1200. High Res optics another $2600.
8.- The day I contacted the Epilog dealer I received a Driver and manual for the models I was interested in. To this day still no manual for the ULS and they will not give you the driver until you order.
9.- Some new software is going to be available with the next ULS driver release. And if the rumors are true they will be charging for the photo software. It will be a separate package than the driver. I did not like this. It was just another thorn.
10.- The Epilog dealer was more personable. More down to earth and I could see myself helping him out at the next wood working show. He also pretty much had me do all the driving when he brought the machine to my lab. It was all done with my main computer.

11.- I wont go into specifics but Epilog gave me a great deal on my laser. And to boot I ended up with a full 3 year warranty on machine and tube.

---------------------------
Now all that said I need to give ULS its due.

If I were going to be in more of a production environment I probably would have gone with the VLS4.6 machine. It’s got a larger bed and built like a tank. The driver also has more features geared towards production. The job estimator and preview are awesome. In those regards Epilog needs to catch-up. The ULS models also features full control over the Z axis. This just gives you more control over your environment so you can do more. For instance you can mark a laser tile and engrave its wooden holder in a single job. On the Epilog this would be two jobs.

So for me ULS is not out. When it comes time for a larger machine I will again look at the VLS and PLS machines.

Now only time will tell. I should get the machine first week in May.

Steve Clarkson
04-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Congrats and a very nice review of your experience.

David Fairfield
04-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Excellent choice. Everyone new to lasering has a first "crunch" story, share yours here when it happens. :)

Similar experience with the sales reps. The Epilog guy drove down with a machine and demoed it using my materials. I did not feel at all pressured, he was cool.

My Epilog was already delivered and up and running before I got a call back from one of the other guys. :confused:

The samples in the info packets I got were no comparison to Epilog's goodies. I'm sure I could get very similar results with a different machine, but still ... they started out on the right foot.

Dave

Michael Simpson Virgina
04-29-2009, 5:06 PM
Oh one other thing that rubbed me the wrong way. The ULS dealer gave me a demo on piece of lasertile. When asked what the cost of the tile was he told me about 20 cents.

David Fairfield
04-29-2009, 5:45 PM
LOL! The Eplilog rep brought a piece of varnished Alder wood to demo on. He gave me the lasered pieces plus the unused portion of the sheet. That stuff ain't cheap.

Dave

Michael Simpson Virgina
04-29-2009, 6:43 PM
It wasnt the cost of the goods that upset me. It was the fact that I know those tiles cost $1.40 each in Qtys of 100. It seems that the dealers (and manufacturers) want you to think that you can purchase this laser and turn low cost items into high cost items. It simply isnt true. Even if you add value to some thing once it reaches a certain cost its going to be very hard to get your return.

The Epilog dealer right of the bat made sure that I was not interested in cold starting an engraving buisness. I liked that.