PDA

View Full Version : Strange Clocks

Brian Robison
04-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Any one remember where the site is for those big strange clocks. I've got a file for one of them but I don't know what it looks like assembled and I need the instructions. I've searched here but can't find it.

Dan Hintz
04-27-2009, 11:38 AM
There have been a number of threads on clocks... try searching with the keyword "skeleton", as I think that's what you're after.

Brian Robison
04-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Thanks Dan,
I kept searching and found the thread.
I searched for Clayton Boyer.

This was the thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=63079&highlight=Clayton

Marc Myer
04-27-2009, 4:56 PM
Clayton Boyer is a great guy and his plans are fabulous. I highly recommend them. I've built one and am looking forward to doing another as soon as there's time. :o

Dave Lock
04-27-2009, 9:11 PM
Reading this thread reminded me of the early 80's when I purchased a Burgess 12" table top Band saw. The saw came with a set of plans to build a wooden clock. The idea I guess was to use the band saw.
I never got round to it and have the plans kicking around somewhere. I just did a search and not only did I find the plans but also the guy who designed the clock for Burgess.

So I have just found another project when I get some spare time. One of these may look nice built from coloured acrylic. Here's the site for anyone who'd like to have a go http://www.woodenclocks.co.uk/index.htm

Dave.

Marc Myer
04-29-2009, 1:05 PM
Those clock designs also look like fun. And basic generic clockworks create a lot of opportunity for creativity: moving gear placement, interesting escapements, etc.

Many wooden clock designs call for 10mm or even 1/2" thick wood for the gears, precluding the use of lasers below, say, 60+ watts.

For those of use with lower-powered lasers, I've been using a nice workaround. Make gears from two or three thinner pieces and glue together. With Corel or Illustrator you can customize the 'spokes.' Then, when assembling, rotate the pieces so they are offset, making for a beautiful gear.

I'd like to see some of the acrylic clocks any of you have made.