PDA

View Full Version : Small engine repair - help

Jim Podsedly
04-27-2009, 10:58 AM
I got the riding mower out for the first time on saturday.
It is a troy bilt 17.5 hp/42 inch cut. Briggs and stratton model 311777/type 0120e1

Well got the fluids all full. I am quite certain i did not over fill the oil.

Started mowing and white smoke started billowing from near the exhaust. Stopped it and let it cool and then started it again and it lost power after engaging the blades and smoked.

started taking things apart and started with the valve cover, bought a new gasket and will try that first along with changing out the oil and filter.

air filter is not soaked with gas or oil. it is pretty clean.

my main concern is that it is a blown head gasket. are these hard to replace? what are the steps? will i need to do anything with the valves after taking the head off?

when i replace the valve gasket should i oil the new gaket or leave it dry?

any other things to look at?

TYIA,
Jim

Brent Leonard
04-27-2009, 12:08 PM
White smoke tells me water in the fuel, MAYBE. Blue smoke would tell me oil is being burned.

Double check the oil level. Also, let it run for a few minutes, it may burn off any water in the fuel. Top off or replace the fuel with some fresh gasoline.

Is the choke stuck?

Jim Podsedly
04-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Brent,

Thanks for the reply.

The choke seems to be working properly and sliding without a hitch.

I will add fresh gas and see if the new valve gasket helps.

Paul Ryan
04-27-2009, 2:19 PM
Jim,

Before you get crazy and start tearing the engine itself apart check out the carb. Dry out the air filter, take the fuel line to the carb off and take the carb off. I am not sure what kind of carburator it uses but take the bowl off and drain the fuel. Blow through all of the ports with compressed air. But becareful, don't go blowing full air pressure into all of the ports until you know air is excaping. If you blow when one is plugged or goes into a hose you could blow up the hose. Just be gental at 1st. Dont worry about new gaskets for the carb unless they tear. They shouldn't but you will only have to replace them if they tear. That is where I would start, you could have water in the line or the tank. If you can drain the gas tank and put fresh fuel in before you try to start it again. If fuel issues dont solve it let us know and we can go from there.

Brent Leonard
04-27-2009, 3:22 PM
I agree. A blown head gasket seems a little extreme until you know your have an issue there. It sounds like a fuel problem, not a mechanical problem.

A $12 Harbor Freight compression guage will tell you if you have a head gasket problem before you pull things apart..

Stan Terrell
04-27-2009, 4:07 PM
Before you go into engine be sure the blade is free. Smoke could be from belt slipping.. Happened to me just this morning

Stan

Dave Lehnert
04-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Go to lawnsite (dot) com and go to the repair forum. You will get the exact answer you need.

Jim Podsedly
04-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I changed the oil and filter. Changed out the valve gasket and mowed the yard.

It smoked some at the start but by the end of the mowing it quit smoking!

hopefully it will last this summer.