PDA

View Full Version : Corian melting Point?

James Jaragosky
04-27-2009, 9:23 AM
can someone tell me at what temperature Corian becomes pliable.
I have a request to make molds that will be placed in a low temperature oven.

Mike Null
04-27-2009, 9:28 AM
James

Here's an old thread which might be helpful.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13264

Angus Hines
04-27-2009, 9:28 AM
James 1/2" becomes pliable at about 260 degrees with a 20-30 minute "soak time"

Guy Mathews
04-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Jim,

Have you considered using plaster? You can pour a large form say 2 by 3 feet and about an inch thick for example. Then just treat it as any piece of stock. Arrange your relief carvings by laying them out in a grid pattern, mill them first and then cut out the individual blocks using the grid for your vector lines. Tempertures will not be a major factor and mold release spray should keep most mediums from sticking. Make sure you use a dust boot, the plaster dust is worse then MDF!

Best of all, plaster is cheap!

I am assuming that you are doing this on a CNC and not with a laser.

Guy

James Jaragosky
04-28-2009, 1:56 AM
Corian will work perfectly; as the soap will not exceed 200 degrees. plaster would work nicely I am sure, but as this mold will be used daily I think that Corian will hold the detail better. plaster just seems fragile for heavy usage.

I tried to post a photo but the SMC site is not resizeing them anymore; and I am to lazy to load up a photo program tonight. I recently re formatted my system and not everything is reinstalled yet.
Too bad on the forum not resizing the photos anylonger; that was a nice feature.
Thanks guys for the quick help.
Jim J

Keith Outten
04-28-2009, 7:53 AM
I'll have to ask Aaron if he turned off the resizing feature when he updated our vBulletin software. Although it made things easy for some it slowed down our server during heavy use periods.

James Jaragosky
04-28-2009, 10:58 AM
I'll have to ask Aaron if he turned off the resizing feature when he updated our vBulletin software. Although it made things easy for some it slowed down our server during heavy use periods.
Thanks Keith; If it turns out it was done to keep the server running better I certainly understand and support that decision.
I will load cheetah later today to re size my future uploads.