PDA

View Full Version : best material for sliding doors in shop cabinet

tom coleman
04-27-2009, 3:45 AM
I want to make some sliding doors to hide the contents of a storage shelf on garage wall. My approach is to rip a 2x4 to 1.5 x 1.5 and cut grooves with my dado blades and then use 1/4" plywood slabs as doors varnished on both sides and wax portion that slides in grooves.

I am in a high humidity area (florida) and am concerned about warping. What can I do to minimize warping? Is there an alternative to plywood?

Dewey Torres
04-27-2009, 3:52 AM
I want to make some sliding doors to hide the contents of a storage shelf on garage wall. My approach is to rip a 2x4 to 1.5 x 1.5 and cut grooves with my dado blades and then use 1/4" plywood slabs as doors varnished on both sides and wax portion that slides in grooves.

I am in a high humidity area (florida) and am concerned about warping. What can I do to minimize warping? Is there an alternative to plywood?

I am from Panama City originally (before the Navy)...

1/4'' hard board is a good solution. It is cheap and easy to replace down the line. My cabs are made with it here in CO (frame and panel setup).

Dell Littlefield
04-27-2009, 7:08 AM
I made some of 1/2 inch ply. The doors were each about 4ft by 6ft. I installed some very small rollers for the bottom that fit in plastic track. This was not very satisfactory so I bought a sliding closet door set of hardware and that proved much more reliable. BTW I also live in Florida and have had no issue with the humidity. My doors are painted on both sides.

Rick Gooden
04-27-2009, 7:30 AM
How about something like this..........Maybe just a little too big? I agree with the 1/4" hardboard.

Russ Boyd
04-27-2009, 7:46 AM
I also used 1/4" hardboard for mine. They have to be at least 10 years old and still operate well. With your humidity you might do well to make your groove oversized. Russ

Chip Lindley
04-27-2009, 9:49 AM
+2,3,4 on Hardboard! Unless the cabinets are very large you have your solution! I guess Stanley still makes some 1/4" deep round finger-pulls that press into holes. These make a neat solution for slider doors. Make sure the doors overlap at the center an inch or so, to prohibit dust entry. Some self-adhesive foam could be applied to gasket the doors where they meet.

Jamie Buxton
04-27-2009, 10:39 AM
In my end of the country, construction lumber (for instance 2x4) is sold green. As it dries, it is very likely to warp, and take the panel with it. Even kiln-dried construction lumber is somewhat wet. It is dried to 19%, which is just low enough that mold won't grow on it. However, as it dries further, it is still likely to warp.

Greg Deakins
04-28-2009, 10:13 AM
I like the hardboard option, but not the material choice for the frame. Think in that case I would use something harder, (oak) as over time, the bottom will wear. Also, those are a bear to get in and out if cut too big, leave a good amount of play in the top to bottom measurement and use large enough tracks to conceal it.

glenn bradley
04-28-2009, 10:31 AM
+1 1/4" hardboard. If moisture is really a problem you could get 'service tempered (http://doitbest.com/Hardboard+Panels-DPI-Decorative+Panels+Intl-model-TS125-doitbest-sku-112522.dib)' hardboard for a bit more $.