PDA

View Full Version : Recommended skill progression for new turner?

David Parker
04-26-2009, 11:46 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to turning. After taking two week long courses at John C. Campbell, I decided this was addicting and bought a nice Jet 1642 EVS-2. I now have more time to devote to this hobby and was wondering if there was a recommended progression on what skills to develop and in what order? Do I master a spindle gouge first before moving on to something else, like a skew? Do I stick with between center turning for a while before doing bowls and other hollow forms? Or do I just mix things up and do a little of everything? I have lots of turning books, but they all show different project progressions.

I guess what I'm asking is: Based on your own personal experiences, what would you recommend to someone who's just starting out? What worked well for you and what would you have done differently?

I know there is no "right" answer, just looking for suggestions. Thanks.

Dave

alex carey
04-27-2009, 12:22 AM
Unless you have a plethora of good wood, I would find some bad wood and just practice anything you can think of. Make bowls, platters, boxes, HF, etc. Don't limit yourself to certain designs. Try new things as often as possible. The more you risk the more you learn.
I would limit your use of scrapers. Try and get good with gouges because they are infinitely more valuable when you get good with them.

Otherwise just have fun.

Jim Sebring
04-27-2009, 1:08 AM
You will need a good sharpening system ASAP, if you don't already have one.

Lots of folks have the Oneway Wolverine setup on an 8 inch grinder. I have one too, but prefer to use my Tormek (bought long before I fell into this vortex :rolleyes:), on my bowl gouges.

Dick Sowa
04-27-2009, 7:57 AM
I agree with others...the more you turn, the more you will need to sharpen your tools. That's one of the first things you will need.

I started with spindles, and still do a lot of them to accent my flatwork. In other words, turning doesn't have to be the end in itself...it can be used to fancy up other woodwork you do. For example, if you make a bed frame, use turned spindles for the corner posts. If you need knobs for a drawer, make them yourself, etc, etc.

Above all, be patient and practice on scrap wood (anything you can find).

Darryl Hansen
04-27-2009, 8:45 AM
First and foremost I would suggest you get a good (Trend Pro for example) mask and respirator. The new Trend is a great deal right now and will save your lungs and face. Filters down to the micron range. If that is too pricey get a good protective visor and wear a mask under it at the very least.

Next go to a nearby club if available. Als check out the many CD's and books. Grumbine, Raffan, and Ellsworth come to mind immediately. Then practice and practice some more. remember the "Vortex" will really grab you so keep your wallet handy and open.

Greg Haugen
04-27-2009, 8:59 AM
David,
I agree, a good sharpening system is well worth the money. I have a Wolverine system and the Woodcraft 8" Slow Speed grinder.

As far as progression, turn what you want but try to learn the "why" as you learn the "how". If you make a good cut, why was it good? If you have a catch, why did it happen? There is something to be said though for learning spindle turning techniques and applying them to other areas. I started to learn how to turn by using the skew. To this day, it's my favorite tool! When I teach/demo I try to emphasize a belief of mine. "Turning is like playing the piano". It's best if you practice the notes and chords before trying to put them together to play a song. A 2X4 ripped in half is an excellent and cheap practice wood. I also like to use a "safe drive" (a cup drive-no prongs -if "more bite" is preferred a dremel can be used to cut notches in the cup) since in the event of a catch the wood will slip. Or if you're trying something new you can adjust the slip by adjusting the pressure from the tailstock. I use a "cup drive" for turning up to 2 1/2" diameter, anything larger I still go back to a prong drive. If it's beads or coves-turn them from one side of the piece to the other, plane them all off and do it again until the piece gets too thin and you simply plane it until it breaks. One DVD I will recommend is the "Turning Projects Along the Woodturning Trail" by Alan Lacer. It's 2 DVD's. It covers everything; from sharpening to practice exercises to bowl turning. www.alanlacer.com

As far as turning bowls, the more you can use the gouges the better off you'll be in the long run. Different grinds work better for different tasks as well. One thing I'd like to challenge people while learning how to turn a bowl is to try and take the smallest cut you can-how little can you remove. So much emphasis is on "waste removal", but the finer cuts will produce the finest surfaces.

ASK QUESTIONS!! There are very few "wrong" ways to do something in turning and a plethora of "correct" ways to do it. What works for "A" person may not work for "B" person but both are doing it correctly.

Most of all, have fun!!

If you're nearby Southwest Wisconsin, you're always welcome to stop by to make some shavings.

Dewey Torres
04-27-2009, 9:16 AM
Just go for it!

Never worry about what is too complicated.

Scott Lux
04-27-2009, 9:38 AM
Sharpening is important. So is learning the various tools. You will find as you get better at one skill, you can go back and improve another already "mastered".

Here is the real progression in turning skills:

Spending money on tools
Cussing
Finding tools in mounds of shavings
Cussing
Sweeping up shavings
Spending more money on tools
Creative cooking with Ramen Noodles
Sanding
Cussing
Finding little pieces of a hollow form and gluing them back together (It is critical to master #5 before attempting this)
Cussing
Gloating

Bernie Weishapl
04-27-2009, 9:42 AM
David you have gotten some good advice. When I started out I practiced with each tool on 2 X 4's, 2 X 2's, etc. until I was comfortable with each tool. I started by making mini birdhouses, Christmas ornaments, lidded boxes, etc. until I was comfortable with them and the tools used to make them. Then I went to bowls and from there Hollow forms. It is up to you but practice, practice, practice. Any of the Lacer dvd's are good. Richard Raffan's dvd's are good. Good luck and welcome to the vortex.

Lee DeRaud
04-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Above all, pay absolutely no attention to anyone who insists, "You must master technique X with tool Y before you can attempt Z."

It's a hobby you're doing for enjoyment, not training for a career.

Burt Alcantara
04-27-2009, 11:36 AM
If you don't have access to urban wood go to a home store and buy a 2x4 and a 4x4. Cut them into a piece that looks right to you. Put it on the lathe and just have at it.

My advise? Buy one inexpensive gouge and a sharpening system. Keep hacking away at the wood and the gouge. Eventually, your brain will tell you what you need.

Don't go buying everything in sight because you will end up with piles and piles of turning things that you wont use.

Get an account at SmartFlix.com and rent DVDs. If you find one you really like, buy it.

Ignore everyone's advise, including my own.
Burt

Steve Schlumpf
04-27-2009, 11:49 AM
David - congrats on your lathe! I think you made a wise choice as it will do just about anything you can think up!

As far as advice, you can spend a lot of time experimenting with different styles of turning and have lots of fun or narrow down what it is you really want to turn and focus your energies there. I started with spindle work and got comfortable with using a lathe. I eventually moved on to bowls and hollow forms (that was what I really wanted to do in the first place) and found that all my spindle tools were not designed for use on bowls. New tools, new techniques but a lot of fun just the same.

So, best advice is to figure out what it is you want to turn - then start asking lots of questions and get started!

john taliaferro
04-27-2009, 1:36 PM
check the speed, check the speed, stand to the side, keep your mouth closed when turning wood with bugs. when ya hear something stop. practic your duck and cover.try not to:D all the time

Reed Gray
04-27-2009, 1:40 PM
Like you said, there is no 'right' answer. I turned a few spindles, and then started in on bowls. I still do mostly bowls. After 11 years, bowls, the standard unadorned utility bowl is my favorite thing to turn. The skills you learn with any cutting tool will transfer to any other tool you pick up, but mostly it is learning to 'feel' what the tool is doing and how it is cutting. Then it is practice. Pay attention to grain orientation, that tells you how to cut. Check out the turning forums, there are no better info sources, except for a local club, where instead of writing about it, you can see it in action.
robo hippy

Ben Brown27
04-27-2009, 1:59 PM
Can't really tell you about progression, I've only been doing this about 7 months. You are already on a better track than me. I bought a midi lath because I never thought I would want to do anything beyond pens. I've always wanted to make pens and that's pretty much where I thought I would stop. At least you got a lathe big enough to do something.

I've only recently turned things other than pens. I just kind of do what I like. I was making pens for a while and had a good time with that. When I started to get burned out on pens I thought I'd try some bowls. Maybe I'll do some salt shakers, or ornaments, or scrolls next. I'm sure no matter which one I do I'll learn something and I'll enjoy doing it.

Mike Peace
04-27-2009, 2:19 PM
Excellent question. The answers will vary from turner to turner as you can see since the best way to learn is based on your personality and learning style. Sharpening tools is the most important skill that needs to be understood. Keep 'em sharp.

I like the "Turning is like playing the piano" analogy. I am a cautious, deliberative type perhaps a little anal-retentive, so I proceeded to do skew exercises on a 2X4 and moved on after it was reduced to splinters. Than I moved on to practising beads and coves with a spindle gouge before moving to smalll spindle projects before progressing to bowls, lidded boxes and hollow forms. I tend to try and make a couple of whatever I am making before moving on. I feel like this allows me to better learn from my mistakes. And increasing my skill iand knowledge of turning is important to me. This works for me but absolutely will not work for many other personality types.

I think Lee DeRaud's advice is excellent, too. I think he is suggesting a better question may be, "How should a new turner have fun?" Turning should be about enjoying your hobby - whatever that takes. Not everyone has the time or interest in becoming a master turner. Some folks just like to make pens. I have one friend who concentrates on bottle stoppers and store project kits like ice cream scoops and screwdrivers. He has not had the need to use a bowl gouge yet since he hasn't moved on to turning bowls though he has been turning a year or so. Seems like a slow and boring learning progression to me but he is having fun so it works for him.

Good luck and be safe on your turning journey.

Roger Wilson
04-27-2009, 2:56 PM
Having taken two full weeks of courses on woodturning you are way better prepared and trained then the majority of folks who get into turning. That's an excellent way to start out.

The usual learning progression is books, DVD's, youtube, and actual practice on your own or a friends lathe. www.smartflix.com (http://www.smartflix.com) (search "turning") allows you to rent DVD's. You'll find lots that may be of interest.

You might look around for a local club (AAW affiliated) and the folks there should be able to provide you with good ideas and projects and the social context for moving forward.

AAW club link (there appear to be at least six in Ohio):
http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/LocalChapters.asp

Roger Alexander
04-27-2009, 3:17 PM
Hi, you have been given some good tips. But all the members did forget to tell you one thing. Your like the rest of us and will make some large mistakes. Now just remeber one thing they have not said. Heck man it is only fire wood. So get some place to burn it.

RL Johnson
04-27-2009, 8:21 PM
I would check to see if there is a local turning club close by. I would also encourage to add some turning videos to your personal library. I like the two DVD set by Alan Lacer, Projects Along the Woodturning Trail. It gives you some project exercises and will answer many questions for a new turner. Best of luck and welcome to the Vortex.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-27-2009, 8:46 PM
Don't forget Bill Grumbine's DVD's they are a good set of DVD's. I learned a lot from his, because he starts from cutting the log. Something no one ever taught me.

Jake Helmboldt
04-27-2009, 10:16 PM
David, I'm pretty new to turning, but I pretty much jumped right in. Take your time to practice, but don't be afraid to pick up a new tool and learn to use it. I started with the skew precisely because it is challenging, but also both versatile as well as providing such a clean surface when you get it right. I've actually found my detail gouge harder to control than the skew. That thing drives me nuts.

Invariably you'll have catches (with any tool), and when that happens I find I don't relax which exacerbates things (leading to additional catches). I'm so tense trying to avoid a catch that I don't let the tool work and allow for the fluid motions needed in turning. It becomes self-fulfilling. In that instance I either turn off the lathe or pick up another tool.

I was mostly interested in bowls so after getting comfortable with the basics of spindles I started turning bowls after a few weeks. Learn to turn what interests you.