PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Pulleys, Belt and Tires

Ben Franz
04-26-2009, 8:03 PM
I'm in the middle of a tuneup - upgrade of my 14" Delta BS. When I removed the lower wheel pulley, I noticed some surface cracking on the outside of the flange near the rim - cracks are radial and appear on about 1/3 of the circumference. This is the stock pulley, marked National Hardware Dresden and it's made in Canada. I thought I'd post to ask if this is common and what causes it. The saw is 20 years old but hasn't been used very much. Assuming that I need to replace this pulley (or both - haven't pulled the motor yet), what type of pulley is recommended? Is it worthwhile to change over to a link belt if I'm changing pulleys anyway?

One other issue - I replaced the tires with the red urethane tires sold by Rockler (made by Sulphur Grove Tool Co.). The installation was easy but the welds on the new tires are bumpy - so uneven that I can see the bump as the wheel spins. Is this normal? Can it be fixed by holding some sandpaper against the wheel like in Duginske's book? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Bruce Wrenn
04-26-2009, 9:58 PM
Over the years, I have seen these surface cracks on more than one pulley. They didn't affect the operation that I could tell of. I would contact Rockler on the "bump" in the ureathane tires though.