PDA

View Full Version : Shallow Bowl

Steve Braman
04-26-2009, 7:47 PM
This is my first attempt at anything other than a pen, and I have only made two of them. There are a lot of imperfections, but I learned a lot in the process. I thought I was done once and then tried to smooth the outside. Mistake! Big catch, and had to rechuck by the rim. Then had to grab it by the foot because I didn't sand the inside fully before I over reacted to the catch. Lesson learned, get the outside right and leave it alone! Next project is to make a jig to improve my sharpening.

Steve Schlumpf
04-26-2009, 8:06 PM
Steve - for a first attempt - I think you did pretty good! Beautiful wood and finish! Make sure you sign and date it as the style will change along with your turning experience! There is only 1 first - be sure to keep it for a late reference!

Looking forward to bowl #2!

Bernie Weishapl
04-26-2009, 10:00 PM
You did well with your first attempt. They will get easier with everyone you do.

Todd Burch
04-26-2009, 10:13 PM
What flavor wood? Sweetgum?

Jim Kountz
04-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Looking good there!! Looks like you're getting the hang of it really well.
I too am curious about the wood.
What is it??

Steve Braman
04-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. The blank came from a store that was closing down, but was marked as cottonwood burl. I got it for $2, so I figured I wouldn't lose too much when I screwed it up. All I know is that I hope I can get something that cuts a little easier.

As an aside, I saw someone in a meeting today with a cool pen. He had never heard of this site, but I think he will be showing up soon.

Todd Burch
04-27-2009, 1:03 PM
I suspect it is not cottonwood. Cottonwood is usually much whiter, and while you were turning it, if you didn't get a smell of cat urine, then it is probably not cottonwood.

I have a picture of a sweetgum plate I turned several years ago. I'm looking for it...