PDA

View Full Version : band saw / blade / tuning question

Brad Wood
04-26-2009, 3:52 PM
Hey,

So, the first thing I did after getting the G0555 was to buy a set of Timberwolf blades. One of them being 1/2"

I've only used the 1/2" and 3/8" so far, and the 1/2" behaves differently on the saw.

I've followed the directions for setting up from Grizzly, and I've followed the directions from Timberwolf for setting tension. I get a wobble in the blade... as you stand facing the saw from the front, it wobbles left and right. From the side where you stand to feed your work, seems fine, and I can change that wobble by adjusting the tension.

Just wondering if this is normal with the thicker blades, or if something is odd. I've checked the wheels and they seem to be aligned and on the same plane (used a straight edge, vertically, and it sits flat against the edges of the wheels)

I've posted a picture to illustrate the direction of the wobble in case I wasn't clear.

thanks

Lance Norris
04-26-2009, 4:05 PM
If I understand you correctly, and from your picture... No, there should not be any wobble in either direction, side to side or front to back. It sounds as if the weld is just a little off. It shouldnt cause any problems, except to make some noise if you adjust the thrust bearing up tight to the blade. Take a sharpening stone and lightly touch the back side of the blade with the saw running until you true up the weld. There are stones made just for this(as well as rounding the edges for tighter turns)but any fairly course stone will work. This wont fix the wobble, but will keep the blade from clicking against the bearing

joe milana
04-26-2009, 5:59 PM
I purchased some "timberwolf" blades from grizzly once and experienced the same thing. The 1/2" blade was the worse. It is definitely a case if the blade being welded crooked. Varies from blade to blade. I can quiet the "click click click" a bit with a stone, but not perfectly. Go to the Minimax website and watch the demo video on the mm16 and you will see the same phenomenon with a high quality carbide tipped blade. Maybe all blades do this somewhat. I have never had one be perfect.

Stephen Edwards
04-26-2009, 7:09 PM
Brad,

Perhaps your saw has the same problem that mine had when it arrived. It was a minor adjustment problem that I didn't find in any of the instructions. Here's a portion of what I wrote in review of my G0555X last year, which may address the problem that you're experiencing now. The text in bold print is what solved my problem:

My accomplishment for the day yesterday was tuning my new Grizzly G0555X BS. I FINALLY got it right on the money! I removed the table and I put a new 3/4" 3POS Timberwolf blade on it and made necessary minor adjustments so that the blade is tracking perfectly. Then, I readjusted the lower blade guides from scratch. There are two bolts that hold that mechanism on to the base of the trunion....lots of play for movement when the bolts are loose. The whole mechanism was out of line.

I used a known true thickness shim (1/8") to make sure that it's parrallel to the trunion before re-tightening the bolts. Before setting blade guides against the blade it's very important to FIRST set the forward/ backward position of the guides because when you tighten the thumb screw that sets that position, it moves everything to the left as it tightens.

You can read the entire review here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=81302

Good luck solving your problem!

Pete Bradley
04-26-2009, 7:35 PM
I agree it sounds like a bad weld. If you hold a straightedge to the back of the weld you'll likely find it's out. If it has a step in it, I'd send it back as it will never run well. If it's got just a minor angle in it, you can decide whether to keep or send back. I got a bad one from Suffolk once and they mailed me a new one and a return label immediately.

Pete

Paul Ryan
04-26-2009, 9:24 PM
I did the same as you when I bought my G0555. I ordered a 3/4, 1/2, 3/8, and 1/4. When I got them I tried all 4 blades and had trouble with the 1/2. It road on the front of the upper wheel and I could not adjust the tracking enough to get it to ride in the middle of both of the wheels. I tried and tired and posted a guestion here. When that blade was on the wheels were very out of co-planar about 3/4". With the other blades on it was perfect they rode in the center of both wheels. I called sufflok and was basically told to live with it, it shouldn't effect cutting. That really ticked me off. I was expecting a new blade but was just told it would be fine. And what really bothered me was the fact who ever I talked to he really sounded like he didn't believe me. So I felt OH well, I will just never buy from them again. It was baiscally the free blade any how (buy 3 get 1 free). Since I have used all of the other blades and tossed the 1/2 in the trash. I will buy my blades from Itura design or a different source from now on. The person new who I was they looked up the invoice, but basically didn't believe me. I have been in and around customer service long enough that I don't get upset any more, it just isn't worth it. I just wont ever buy from there again.

Ray Dockrey
04-27-2009, 9:04 AM
I did the same as you when I bought my G0555. I ordered a 3/4, 1/2, 3/8, and 1/4. When I got them I tried all 4 blades and had trouble with the 1/2. It road on the front of the upper wheel and I could not adjust the tracking enough to get it to ride in the middle of both of the wheels. I tried and tired and posted a guestion here. When that blade was on the wheels were very out of co-planar about 3/4". With the other blades on it was perfect they rode in the center of both wheels. I called sufflok and was basically told to live with it, it shouldn't effect cutting. That really ticked me off. I was expecting a new blade but was just told it would be fine. And what really bothered me was the fact who ever I talked to he really sounded like he didn't believe me. So I felt OH well, I will just never buy from them again. It was baiscally the free blade any how (buy 3 get 1 free). Since I have used all of the other blades and tossed the 1/2 in the trash. I will buy my blades from Itura design or a different source from now on. The person new who I was they looked up the invoice, but basically didn't believe me. I have been in and around customer service long enough that I don't get upset any more, it just isn't worth it. I just wont ever buy from there again.You must have got somebody having a bad day. I had the same issue with a 1/2" blade that was welded wrong and they sent me another out right away.

Brad Wood
04-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks to everyone. I think I'll give Suffolk a call and see what they have to say... and then go from there