PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Maple

Toney Robertson
04-26-2009, 2:30 PM
Splated maple - AO and Buffed - 13" x 5".

I really liked the form on this one. I used a flat rim but I must confess that I tried but could not come up with an alternate. Some kind of embellishment but every thing I thought of altered either the inside or outside profile which I did not want to do. I guess I lack an imagination.

I love this piece of wood. The way it goes from dark brown to almost white with only a black line between them is really cool. Lots of worm holes too. Also in the second picture there is a section of wood near the rim that is almost honeycombed. Took some CA on the section to firm it up and man did it ever DRINK up the AO!

What do you think? Did I make a mistake with the boring flat rim? What else could I have done? Any and all comments welcome.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/188-88.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/188-88A.jpg

Almost forgot, here is a picture of the bottom. Ignore my LOUSY had writing and notice the logo that creeker Nancy Laird made for me. I love it. Also ignore the picture. I did it out of my tent and you can tell.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/Misc/IMG_3310.jpg

Toney

Steve Schlumpf
04-26-2009, 2:49 PM
Toney - great looking bowl and logo! Beautiful wood - color and grain patterns! Rims are always a challenge and they impact the entire form of the bowl - so you do have to be cautious!

I like the form on this bowl - and the only variation I can see that would work on the lip is a slight slant inwards. I find if I can keep the rim close to 90* to the curve leading up to the opening - it can still support the form. It is a judgment call on your part - but I have been happy with the results when I have done that on mine.

Nice work!

alex carey
04-26-2009, 8:37 PM
I love the wood, it looks great, I actually like the shape to. There are millions of shapes for bowls and this one is unique, good job.

Chris Rae
04-26-2009, 8:51 PM
I like it! To me it lets the wonderful characteristics of the wood speak for themselves.

Terry Rothwell
04-26-2009, 9:06 PM
Beautiful bowl Toney! Newbie question= How does the Logo work, or how is it incorporated into the bowl? I like it.

Leo Van Der Loo
04-26-2009, 9:09 PM
Toney that is a beautiful bowl period.
When reading that you are not sure of the rim, my thoughts were like Steve's, you could have a inward slope and that might look better, though the beautiful colors and especially the shape are taking all the attention, it is hard to improve on the overall looks, IMO :-))

Toney Robertson
04-26-2009, 9:48 PM
Beautiful bowl Toney! Newbie question= How does the Logo work, or how is it incorporated into the bowl? I like it.

Terry,

When I turned out the recess on the bottom (I almost always use a recess instead of a tenon) I cut in a shallow recess (Aprox 1/16") about 1 1/2" in diameter. The logo has an adhesive back so I peel off the paper and stick it on.

I thought Nancy did a great job.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Toney

Bernie Weishapl
04-26-2009, 9:50 PM
Great looking bowl Toney. The wood with the grain and spalting is really nice.

Jim Kountz
04-26-2009, 11:21 PM
Good looking bowl and I personally like the rim. Kinda different and not what one might expect to see right off ya know? But it works for me. I bet Nancy is going to be getting alot of orders for round logos pretty soon, that looks amazing!!

Terry Rothwell
04-27-2009, 5:17 AM
Terry,

When I turned out the recess on the bottom (I almost always use a recess instead of a tenon) I cut in a shallow recess (Aprox 1/16") about 1 1/2" in diameter. The logo has an adhesive back so I peel off the paper and stick it on.

I thought Nancy did a great job.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Toney
Thank you for the reply, a great job by both of you!

Mike Stephens
04-27-2009, 6:12 AM
I like it.Great job. Beautiful wood and I love your logo.

I can't believe it but I think your hand writing may be worse then mine.:D

Toney Robertson
04-27-2009, 12:02 PM
I like it.Great job. Beautiful wood and I love your logo.

I can't believe it but I think your hand writing may be worse then mine.:D

No doubt it is and to think I took hand writing lessons as a kid!!! I think my Mon should ask for a refund.

Toney

Bill Bulloch
04-27-2009, 3:36 PM
The grain of that bowl speaks for itself. No embellishment necessary. Nice job.