PDA

View Full Version : 1st Box - Cypress & Bucote

BILL DONAHUE
04-26-2009, 1:37 PM
Tried to make my 1st box as a gift to my oldest daughter on her 16th birthday. Copied, or as we say in artistic endeavors "inspired" by one shown in an article by Cindy Drozda about finials in an old AAW magazine. Cindy doesn't have to worry about any competition from me. Decided to buy Cindy's DVD after doing this since I figured there has to be an easier way. It's 6 3/4" X 2 3/4" with a box of cypress and a foot, insert and final of bucote. Finished with Danish oil and wipe on poly and buffed. The wood wasn't choosen for any reason other than that's what was there. After the DVD, I hope the next one is easier and comes out better. We'll see!

Toney Robertson
04-26-2009, 1:46 PM
Bill,

I think your daughter will love it. I like the combination of woods you chose.

My own personal preference would be no base or if you use a base make it a cove and not a bead. I think it is a distraction from the main body. Also in regards to the main body is that the finial is a little two heavy and tall.

I just reread your post and you did not ask for a critique. I hope you take my suggestions in the manner in which they were intended.

Toney

Steve Schlumpf
04-26-2009, 2:38 PM
Bill - I think that this looks pretty good for your first one and am also sure your daughter will love it! Nice color combination and finish! Looking forward to your next one!

Dewey Torres
04-26-2009, 2:41 PM
Yes Bill, I just watched one of her vids on the woodworking channel. She does make it look easy.

alex carey
04-26-2009, 8:44 PM
looking good, at first I thought the collar was bark. I'm sure she'll appreciate it.

Bernie Weishapl
04-26-2009, 9:56 PM
Great looking box and she will love it. Yep I did the same one and they do get easier after the first. You get brave enough to skinny up the finial some.:eek:

Jim Kountz
04-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Wow very nice indeed!! I know she will love it. Cindys work just blows me away and I can see how one can be inspired after looking at it.
Well done!!