PDA

View Full Version : Question about headstock spindle adapters

Jim C Bradley
04-26-2009, 1:28 PM
Hi everyone,

Where can I purchase a headstock spindle adapter for a lathe with 7/8” x 14 tpi headstock...one that will give me the standard 1” x 8 tpi?

I purchased a very nice Delta 46-140 woodlathe from Dan Gonzales (Dan & wife are really nice and the three children are jewels). It is in excellent condition. The down side is that it has a 7/8” x 14 tpi headstock whereas 1” x 8 tpi seems to be the standard for smaller lathes.

I have been able to find a chuck (Teknatool SuperNova2) at with the 7/8 14 threaded insert at Woodcraft. However this leaves me with the same oddball thread problem if I wish to purchase other attachments.

Penn State Industries has all kinds of headstock spindle adapters except the 7/8 14 that I need (Murphy’s Law*). If I could find a 78 x 14 to 1 x 8 adapter I believe it would solve the unusual size headstock thread problem and make this a very useable lathe. OR Is there a better way?

* Years ago one of my patients said, “Murphy was an optimist.” I have been laughing, groaning and crying about that ever since he told me.

Enjoy,

Jim

robert hainstock
04-26-2009, 2:29 PM
I have nerver seen a 7/8 thread head stock before, I hope somebody else can help. If not, find a local small machine shop and see hat they can do. remember to keep tight tolerances. good luck!
Bob

Allen Neighbors
04-26-2009, 2:41 PM
Jim, I believe Best Wood Tools will make one for you. Not sure, but I think they will. Hope you can get one made somewhere... just keep looking.
http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/

Jeff Nicol
04-26-2009, 4:42 PM
Jim, I could make one for you, It would not be fancy and milled but welded. I have made them in the past and they come out just fine. I set them up on one of my lathes to get every thing true then tack it up and
Weld them solid. Here is a link to one I made that is in my tools gallery.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=122&pictureid=1704

Check it out,

Jeff

Nigel Tracy
04-26-2009, 7:52 PM
Hi everyone,

Where can I purchase a headstock spindle adapter for a lathe with 7/8” x 14 tpi headstock...one that will give me the standard 1” x 8 tpi?

I purchased a very nice Delta 46-140 woodlathe from Dan Gonzales (Dan & wife are really nice and the three children are jewels). It is in excellent condition. The down side is that it has a 7/8” x 14 tpi headstock whereas 1” x 8 tpi seems to be the standard for smaller lathes.

I have been able to find a chuck (Teknatool SuperNova2) at with the 7/8 14 threaded insert at Woodcraft. However this leaves me with the same oddball thread problem if I wish to purchase other attachments.

Penn State Industries has all kinds of headstock spindle adapters except the 7/8 14 that I need (Murphy’s Law*). If I could find a 78 x 14 to 1 x 8 adapter I believe it would solve the unusual size headstock thread problem and make this a very useable lathe. OR Is there a better way?

* Years ago one of my patients said, “Murphy was an optimist.” I have been laughing, groaning and crying about that ever since he told me.

Enjoy,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Great old lathe! I have the same one in the Rockwell version and it has served me well--a real tank of a lathe unlike some of the newer stuff on the market...

I purchased a Talon chuck with a 7/8" thread from Oneway and a 7/8" faceplate from another tool store here in Canada (Busy Bee).

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=B129078

They have made my lathe very functional for standard projects. If I do upgrade someday (of course the laws of the vortex say I will) then all I'll need will be another adaptor for my chuck @~$20.

I'd say use that good old lathe!

Nigel