PDA

View Full Version : Need advice – Drill press retro fit

Roy Hess
04-26-2009, 12:10 PM
I have an older 13” Craftsman Bench Model Drill Press #113.273130C. It has worked well for many years, but as my needs change, it is some what lacking. The actual size of the unit is fine, only 5 speeds is also fine. However............

I need to replace the chuck. There is to much play in the chuck and when drilling hardwood in end grain, the drill follows the grain to easily. The chuck has the following numbers stamped into it RJ3 – 16L . What does that correspond to ? I knocked the chuck off the spindle to measure it. The taper is about 1” long, and about 13/16” wide at the top and 3/4” at the bottom. I wish to purchase a chuck – any thoughts ??
The spindle it self may have some run out, but I will be better able to judge that after the new chuck is in ??
I am thinking of buying a Grizzly H7979 5-1/2" x 12" Compound Slide Table
These are $90 at Amazon and seems like what I need. I make a type of wooden bearing out off Baltic Birch plywood disks, hole sizes vary, many have multiple diameters, to accommodate step bushings. So centering multiple work pieces so the they eventually all line up is a challenge. Any experience with these compound tables ?

Any comments most appreciated :)

David G Baker
04-26-2009, 2:20 PM
The RJ3 refers to the taper of the chuck base, the RJ3 is a Jacobson brand taper. Don't know what the 16L refers to. I replaced the chuck on my Craftsman Commercial DP with a new chuck. The new chuck came with two wedges to remove the old chuck and the new chuck was pressed on the JR3 taper on the DP. I used a 4x4 on the table and lowered the chuck to contact the 4x4 and applied hand pressure on the lowering arms until the chuck was seated. The taper is similar to the Morse tapers used on metal working equipment but uses a taper that is used by Jacobson chucks.

Roy Hess
04-27-2009, 4:21 PM
Thanks Dave !

I have located a possible supplier for the chuck, I notice that there is quite a range of prices out there.

Any experience with compound slide tables ?

David G Baker
04-27-2009, 4:38 PM
Roy,
I have a small Craftsman compound slide table on my Craftsman Commercial DP. It has been on it since I purchased it new in 1973. I use it mostly for metal drilling. If I had it to do over again I would get a larger table like the one on my small milling machine. Depending on the type of work you do the table comes in real handy at times. I purchased my chuck from the Craftsman tool catalog and found it to be well made, haven't had any problem with it in over 30 years. I have a larger chuck that came with my big DP, it has a #2 Morse taper on its base but I don't use it too much because I have a slug cutter holder mounted on it. If I want to drill wood I have to do most of it by hand because of all the cutting oil on my DPs from drilling metal. I am going to have to get me a new DP and set it up so it is used for wood only if I get a wood project going.