PDA

View Full Version : How much run out would you put up with?

Thomas Williams
04-26-2009, 11:08 AM
I picked up a Ridgid cordless saw for a good price. It is the Multimax blade on the right model. I plan to use the saw for utility work and breaking down some plywood.
Problem is, the blade has a fair amount of run out, about 1/64 to 1/32 at the teeth of the Avanti blade. There is no real vibration in the saw and other than a wider kerf, there does not seem to be any other real problems with the saw.
The Avanti blade did not show any run out issues on my other cordless saw.
Not wanting to start a debate about tool set up, but this it the first circular saw I have owned that has this much run out. Is this worth the worry, or should I just take it for what it is?

Paul Murphy
04-26-2009, 1:04 PM
Thomas, IMO that much runout will not allow the blade you own to cut to it's potential. If you cut veneer plywood, even with a good guide you will probably get tearout and ragged cuts.

glenn bradley
04-26-2009, 1:32 PM
Hard to imagine no vibration with that much runout. Are you saying the kerf ends up 1/64 to 1/32 wider than the teeth? If there is that much wobble, I would expect ragged exit points. This is where "a good price" needs to be factored into "total cost of ownership". Veneered ply is expensive. If you are just breaking down panels to oversize dimensions then no problem.
If you are expecting to get an edge that will become a finished edge, I would expect wasted material in excess of the cost of a good saw. . . I know, Its painful but generally true over a given amount of time.