PDA

View Full Version : A Small Miracle-Grizzly 14" Ultimate bandsaw

dennis thompson
04-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Well a small miracle occurred today. I had my eye on a used Delta 14" bandsaw but it was sold before I had a chance to see it. I told my wife about it & what she would normally say is "another saw?"...anyway she said "why don't you buy a new one?" yes that is correct she said "why don't you buy a new one":) . I'm sure this was influenced by a disasterous buy on my part of a used radial arm saw, which wound up ,after much attempted rehab work, in the garbage.
So I'm looking at the Grizzly 14" Ultimate Bandsaw which is on sale for $395 + $74 shipping. I should note that I am just a hobbiest & the Grizzley is at the absolute top of my price range. Anyone have an opinion on this saw? or a recommendation for one in the same price range?
Thanks
Dennis

Bill White
04-26-2009, 11:01 AM
That's the one I'd buy. I've got to move some existing stuff before I buy one.
Bill

Dave Sweeney
04-26-2009, 11:08 AM
There's nothing wrong with that bandsaw. Excellent value for the money involved. I say go for it before it goes off sale.

Mark Godlesky
04-26-2009, 11:13 AM
...or the LOYL changes her mind.:)

Steve Mostoller
04-26-2009, 12:21 PM
You will love this saw, I bought one over 5 years ago and love it. IMO buy the riser block now for $50 and save yourself the shipping later.

Paul Ryan
04-26-2009, 2:18 PM
Dennis,

Use the microsoft cash back and buy the G0555. I bought mine in Dec when the cash back was 20% off I got a heck of a deal. It is a really nice band saw. I am a hobbiest too and I really dont see the need for another band saw. It has resawed what I needed (6" mahogany), with good blades I can get really thin vaneer. I really think bang for your buck you can beat grizzly band saws. With my 3/4 timberwolf blade tensioned properly I have zero blade drift. It is just a really nice 14" band saw. I bought it over a jet because it was cheaper but had bearings instead of blocks for guides, a quick release lever, and a fence. Steel city makes a nice band saw too. But theirs is more $$ comparable and does not include a fence. Dust collection is so so on the grizzly. If you plan on resawing at all, I would buy the riser too. I think this saw would have a hard time resawing 12". But it will easily handle 6 1/2, 7 and 8" of most wood.

Thomas Pender
04-26-2009, 2:19 PM
Easy to adjust and tune, will resaw, and you can buy a high fence for it from Grizzly. I use it to rip a great deal. Oh, it is tied into my Oneida Gorilla and I get only a little dust. I wish the table were bigger, but that comes with a 17".

Steve Kohn
04-26-2009, 2:58 PM
Ditto on the cashback deal from Microsoft. If Grizzly doesn't have the saw you want listed on ebay, then send their ebay sales people a request. In the past Grizzly has been very accomidating at putting requests on ebay with a buy it now pricing to allow you to cash in on the cashback discount.

Kev Godwin
04-26-2009, 4:41 PM
Dennis,
I've been using the G0555 for quite a while now without any problems. It is the best deal I've had to date on all of my shop equipment.
Kev

Ray Dockrey
04-26-2009, 4:51 PM
Dennis,
I've been using the G0555 for quite a while now without any problems. It is the best deal I've had to date on all of my shop equipment.
KevSame here. I love mine and it has been great for what I paid for it.

Jim Kountz
04-26-2009, 5:28 PM
If you're willing to travel to PA there is one on Ebay right now that may save you a few bucks. Used yes but seems to be in great shape overall.

Don Dorn
04-26-2009, 6:35 PM
I bought one in 03 and use it on the average of twice a week. Never felt the need to upgrade, but like the other poster, I recommend getting the extension now. Might as well do it and save the shipping and the cost of all the 93 " blades that will be worthless once you figure out that it's something you need to do. The 105" blades are very common and increased the useablity of the saw tremendougly. You'll love it.

Russ Sears
04-26-2009, 8:42 PM
Let me pile on and say "go for it". I bought one last fall and love it.

Mark: love the sig pic! PSU '82 here.

dennis thompson
04-26-2009, 10:35 PM
How do I buy the Grizzly bandsaw using Microsoft cash back?
Thanks
Dennis

John Callahan
04-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Let me pile on and say "go for it".

.................+1 And don't forget to take LOYL out to a nice dinner.

Prashun Patel
04-27-2009, 8:45 AM
Got mine last year...love it. +1 on getting the riser blocks. Just a matter of time till you wanna resaw something > 6".

I hear they're shipping with better blades now too.

Kevin Hartnett
04-27-2009, 9:01 AM
What's the "cash back deal from Microsoft?" Does anyone have any details on this? I just bought the Grizzly G0555X and will kick myself if I missed a 20% rebate!

Thanks,

Kevin H.