PDA

View Full Version : Which tablesaw and jointer?

Guy Belleman
04-26-2009, 3:48 AM
What are my best tool options?
I would appreciate some input from the experts here.

I am looking at purchasing a tablesaw and jointer in the next two months, plus some of the accessories. I am a hobbyist, not woodworking for a living. I had to sell my last tablesaw before a move, and got rid of the old and temperamental 6" jointer I had. I have a budget of about $3K. There are plenty of previous polls on these tools. Although, there is not a lot of information about some of the new tools listed in the latest catalogs. I have looked at Grizzly, Delta, Jet, Shop Fox, Powermatic, General, Wilke, etc. I am not at all interested in SawStop or Steel City, preferring other models.

I like the Grizzly G0490X 8" Jointer, with spiral index cutterhead, parallelogram tables and built-in mobile base. Right now it is at $1195 with free shipping. I also like the Shop Fox W1741S, which is almost the same machine. All of the others seem like good machines as well, but more money.

I like the Grizzly G0690 Tablesaw, 3HP, with riving knife, 10", short rails. This is a new saw from Grizzly and little review has been done. It is currently $1250 with shipping $144, or a total of $1394. Yes, I know the G0651, is the same price with some tables included, but I need the saw to have a smaller foot print and to be mobile. I got word from Grizzly customer service that the Router extension table would fit on it (H7507 at $199.95). I also plan on the outfeed roller system (G1317 at $289.95). Although, I was happy with the melamine table with folding legs, I attached to my last Grizzly table saw. And of course, a saw blade.

So, lets see that brings the total Grizzly bill to:
jointer $1195
saw 1394
router ext 200
outfeed 290
can of slip it 10
cutter inserts 25
saw blade 110
Total $3224

I am over budget, and I presume I will need some additional items. I have been checking Craigslist and seen some deals, not many that have all of the features I would like, and often would require some compromise. I am also not able to pick up or receive until June.

I did contact Grizzly in February seeing if they could provide a deal, but I was told I had to contact them again two weeks prior to ordering, and to allow up to 10 days for delivery. They also said that discounts were for orders of at least $5K. So, that means I have until mid May to finalize my purchase. Probably about the same for any of the distributors.

So, that said, what advice or input can you provide?

Thank-you in advance.

Dewey Torres
04-26-2009, 4:49 AM
I like the Grizzly G0490X 8" Jointer, with spiral index cutterhead, parallelogram tables and built-in mobile base. Right now it is at $1195 with free shipping. I also like the Shop Fox W1741S, which is almost the same machine. All of the others seem like good machines as well, but more money.

It is the same machine for sure. Griz and Shopfox are the same but one is online and the other is brick and mortar.

Josh Rudolph
04-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Guy,

I think you have a pretty nice list of tools. I would not have any hesitation with any of it except for the add-on router table. I would skip Grizzly's extension table and look for an aftermarket one. I know it will mean more money, but I think the aftermarket one's are a little more thought through. If you plan on using a router lift, I think you will end up having to modify the the table top.

I would probably skip the outfeed rollers and build an outfeed bench/table. But you said space is a concern, so the rollers would probably suit you better as they can be lowered when not needed.

Consider going with the MS cashback route and it should help expand your budget some. Last I saw it was at 14%.

Josh

Don Morris
04-26-2009, 11:13 AM
I think Josh said it well. A separate router table so you can put a router lift in it because the lifts are sooo nice. You may not find the roller outfeed table to be as convenient a work surface as your melamine surface was. You could build an outfeed table that drops down like the roller does. I did, and used the design by Jim Becker, one of the moderators on sawmillcreek. It's on his website. I even cut down on the overall size a bit because of my small hobby shop space. I find the solid surface outfeed table much more functional than a roller surface would be.

Cary Falk
04-26-2009, 12:13 PM
You could also save some money up front by going with the G0490 without the spiral head and then adding it later. That what I did with the W1741 that I purchased. I am still waiting on adding the spiral cutter head. I like solid surface outfeed tables and agree you should make one. I made a flip down one this weekend. The support is made from a roller stand that I hated. Here is picture to get the wheels spinning.

Tom Adger
04-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Ridgid makes a fine tablesaw, for a very reasonable price. A few months ago I got a model 3660 from HD. (model 3650 is essentially the same). They have replaced the 3660 at HD with a new granite top model, the 4511. There are a few of the 3660/3650 models left at a few HD's, at closeout prices. My closest HD, in Jensen Beach, FL, has two way up high on the racks. You would probably be looking at around $300 if you find one. They originally retailed for $549. If you got one, and for some reason didn't like it (which I doubt) you could probably sell it on CL for pretty close to what you paid for it.

Guy Belleman
04-26-2009, 6:56 PM
tables look great on the saw. Why not sell me the whole thing and you could upgrade to a new saw? Then I wouldn't have to mess with it, and could spend my time cutting wood. :D

As far as the router goes, I have the Milwaukee which has a built in lift in it. All I have to do is drill a small hole through whatever top I make/get to be able to pass the long allen wrench through.

Cary Falk
04-26-2009, 8:26 PM
[QUOTE=Guy Belleman;1118506]tables look great on the saw. Why not sell me the whole thing and you could upgrade to a new saw? Then I wouldn't have to mess with it, and could spend my time cutting wood. :D

QUOTE]

Ha! I got it just the way I want it now(until I decide to change it again:rolleyes:) after about a year of planning.

glenn bradley
04-26-2009, 8:36 PM
I like the Grizzly G0490X 8" Jointer, with spiral index cutterhead, parallelogram tables and built-in mobile base.

I can't speak to the tablesaws except that I have decided to avoid the newer Delta stuff after recent experience. I am curious why you don't like the Steel City(?).

I will chime in like oh-so-many others on the G0490X. Enclose the chute, put on a linkbelt, adjust the belt clearance and go to work. My tables were frighteningly flat right out of the crate. A block and tackle beats the heck out of a friend for positioning the motor before putting the jointer on the stand. I'll stop babbling as you will find plenty of assembly stories on the G0490(X) on SMC.