PDA

View Full Version : A few of my turkey calls

Aaron Wingert
04-26-2009, 2:12 AM
After recently getting into turning I dove head-first into making turkey calls. It started out as just making one for myself and a couple friends, but it has evolved into a nice little side-business. I threw away well over 30 or 40 of them before I got the sound and shape just right. Right now I'm making and selling about one a day, sometimes more. I never thought it would turn into something that I'd make money at but they're in pretty good demand and people are really raving about them. It is sure rewarding to be able to actually justify tool purchases to my wife..."Honey, I need to get _____ for the business." :D I plan to use the off-season to really develop my website and build up a good stock on non-custom calls to fulfill the "I'm in a hurry how quick can I get a call" requests. Almost all of my sales have been on one hunting website so I certainly need to branch out a little.

I tried to come up with a design that was a little fancier than the average turkey call, most of which are made by machines and lack any attention to detail. I also stayed away from any logos or catch phrases (gobbler gitter, etc.) on the calls in an effort to class them up a little. I sign my name on the inside of the call and also put the name of who the call is custom made for, as well as my website. The writing is visible through the sound holes.

Here's a sampling of a few of them. For those that don't know how they work...There's a slate, crystal, aluminum, or glass surface on the top of the call that you rub the striker on to make turkey sounds.

Critiques welcome. I do need to figure out some sort of photo tent thing, but I do want to incorporate the wood chips theme. It seems the bulk of custom callmakers show their calls on a piece of camo fabric, and that just doesn't light my fire.

From left to right are:
-Cocobolo (note the grain orientation of the striker head)
-Birdseye maple
-Curly hickory with cherry
-Sycamore
-Wenge and zebrawood

Aaron Wingert
04-26-2009, 2:17 AM
Here's a picture of one with spalted maple and purpleheart, showing the slate surface.

The other pic is cocobolo with sapwood.

Dewey Torres
04-26-2009, 2:46 AM
Nice batch!!!

I vote for the spalted maple and PH!:D

Jeff Nicol
04-26-2009, 6:58 AM
Aaron, Looks like you have been busy on the calls! Are you getting them sold to lots of turkey freaks like myself? I have my season starting Wednesday, and my cousin has been seeing a big tom coming out in his field every day at about the same time each morning. I will be waiting, hoping to get the hunt on video!

Great calls!

Jeff

Jack Mincey
04-26-2009, 8:14 AM
Aaron,
Nice looking calls. It is nice being able to sell what you make and making your customers happy at the same time. I can't make enough calls to keep up with the demend. When I meet someone to sell one, I almost always sell One or Two more to someone with them or at the store where I do meet them.
Good Hunting,
Jack Mincey

Bernie Weishapl
04-26-2009, 8:30 AM
Aaron those are some nice looking calls. It is great when you can sell them.

Chris Rae
04-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Those are great looking calls Aaron, congrats on the sales!

Steve Schlumpf
04-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Very nice work Aaron! I can see why these would be big sellers! Great variety of woods! Really like the curly hickory! Good luck with your sales!

Aaron Wingert
04-26-2009, 2:44 PM
Thanks everybody!

Joseph M Lary
04-26-2009, 4:20 PM
Where do you get the slate for the call I wanted to make some for gifts for some friends for Christmas.