PDA

View Full Version : Texturing tool ideas

Aaron Wingert
04-26-2009, 1:56 AM
I just picked up a Sorby mini spiralling texturing tool today and played around with it a little bit. The instructions leave a lot to the imagination. I did figure out a couple things with it but I'm sure there's more that this thing will do.

I tried it on the outside end grain of one of my cocobolo turkey calls (basically a bowl) and didn't have great results. On a cherry dowel it did nice work. Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not the spiralling tools are usable on end grain? I'm tickled with this little tool and just want to explore all my options with it.

I also ordered a Wagner texturing tool and received it earlier this week. The results with it are nothing short of disappointing, especially in contrast to the Sorby tool.

The pic is what I managed on my first try with the Sorby.

Dewey Torres
04-26-2009, 2:05 AM
Aaron,
That is cool. Being a newbie I have no idea how these work.

Aaron Wingert
04-26-2009, 2:22 AM
I'm as much of a newbie as you are Dewey! They're pretty easy it seems. The wheel on the tool simply spins when it touches the work, and you move it from left to right or right to left. There's a quick video of their larger version on youtube.

Steve Trauthwein
04-26-2009, 6:28 AM
Aaron,

The sorby company has a video that explains the tools use very well. Most clubs have a copy. I think there is a download on line but I haven't been able to find it.

Regards, Steve

Steve Trauthwein
04-26-2009, 7:35 AM
Aaron,

Here is the site with the Sorby video.
<http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/movie-clips.htm#sts>

Regards, Steve

Aaron Wingert
04-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks Steve...I'll watch that!

Good to meet you last week by the way!

John Terefenko
04-26-2009, 11:04 AM
I just picked up a Sorby mini spiralling texturing tool today and played around with it a little bit. The instructions leave a lot to the imagination. I did figure out a couple things with it but I'm sure there's more that this thing will do.

I tried it on the outside end grain of one of my cocobolo turkey calls (basically a bowl) and didn't have great results. On a cherry dowel it did nice work. Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not the spiralling tools are usable on end grain? I'm tickled with this little tool and just want to explore all my options with it.

I also ordered a Wagner texturing tool and received it earlier this week. The results with it are nothing short of disappointing, especially in contrast to the Sorby tool.

The pic is what I managed on my first try with the Sorby.

AAron

Thanks for the post and it comes just in time for I am looking for something like this. I want to texture the tops of my miniture birdhouses. You mentioned 2 different tools I think. Which is the better one that was easier to use??? Do you have a catalog number???

Steve Schlumpf
04-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Aaron - that is a pretty cool effect! Would be interesting to see if it works on end grain!

Roger Wilson
04-26-2009, 12:46 PM
goto www.woodworkingchannel.com (http://www.woodworkingchannel.com), select videos | aaw and check for the three or so videos related to texturing. It may give you some ideas.

goto youtube.com and search on "woodturning texturing -expertvillage" you'll get a few videos up at top dealing with texturing.

goto video.google.com and do the same search, you get a similar set of videos as youtube.

Bonnie Klein has videos as well. goto www.smartflix.com (http://www.smartflix.com) and search on "bonnie klein" or "Chatter Techniques" and you can rent the videos.

Aaron Wingert
04-26-2009, 2:37 PM
goto www.woodworkingchannel.com (http://www.woodworkingchannel.com), select videos | aaw and check for the three or so videos related to texturing. It may give you some ideas.

goto youtube.com and search on "woodturning texturing -expertvillage" you'll get a few videos up at top dealing with texturing.

goto video.google.com and do the same search, you get a similar set of videos as youtube.

Bonnie Klein has videos as well. goto www.smartflix.com (http://www.smartflix.com) and search on "bonnie klein" or "Chatter Techniques" and you can rent the videos.

Thanks Roger! I'll check all those out.

Dewey Torres
04-26-2009, 2:38 PM
Hey, Roger ...thanks a lot! I just spent the last hour and half on those vids and the sub links...

lost I say lost!:rolleyes:

robert hainstock
04-26-2009, 2:39 PM
I've had mine for about two weeks now, an I too am disappointed. I tried it on a seasoned maple disk, and just got a messy look. I'm going to try it on something softer, (green).
Bob

Aaron Wingert
04-26-2009, 2:43 PM
AAron

Thanks for the post and it comes just in time for I am looking for something like this. I want to texture the tops of my miniture birdhouses. You mentioned 2 different tools I think. Which is the better one that was easier to use??? Do you have a catalog number???

John,
I would strongly recommend avoiding the Wagner tool. I got mine at Craft Supplies...Nothing against them at all, their service was excellent. The tool appears to be well made but the effect it produces is amateurish at best. For $35 perhaps I shouldn't expect more. I do feel somewhat misled by the pictures that accompanied the tool in the catalog, because the result is nothing like them. I'll keep trying this tool but only see it working at all on the very softest woods.

I had never seen the Sorby MINI spiralling tool in any catalog, and my local Woodcraft store just got them in. It seems to be well made, has an aluminum handle, and seems fairly easy to use. I'm sure there are a lot of tricks that I'll develop with some experience. It was in the $70 range ($100 cheaper than the larger version), and Woodcraft has 20% off Sorby stuff right now.

John Terefenko
04-26-2009, 3:24 PM
This is good to get feedback like this. You do not know how many times I almost pulled the trigger on the Wagner because of the photos in the catalog but not sure on the price. I think with the Sorby tool there are other attachments so that might be a plus. I have the Bonnie Klien tool and have not really liked it. Was looking for something else. Keep the comments coming and I will check out those videos. Thanks for the links.

David Walser
04-26-2009, 3:31 PM
John,
I would strongly recommend avoiding the Wagner tool. I got mine at Craft Supplies...Nothing against them at all, their service was excellent. The tool appears to be well made but the effect it produces is amateurish at best. For $35 perhaps I shouldn't expect more. I do feel somewhat misled by the pictures that accompanied the tool in the catalog, because the result is nothing like them. I'll keep trying this tool but only see it working at all on the very softest woods.

I had never seen the Sorby MINI spiralling tool in any catalog, and my local Woodcraft store just got them in. It seems to be well made, has an aluminum handle, and seems fairly easy to use. I'm sure there are a lot of tricks that I'll develop with some experience. It was in the $70 range ($100 cheaper than the larger version), and Woodcraft has 20% off Sorby stuff right now.

Just a word of caution: Just because a particular turner is "disappointed" in a particular tool, does not mean the tool will not be of tremendous value to another turner. At this past Desert Woodturning Roundup, I spent a lot of time watching the staff at the Craft Supplies USA's booth make very interesting textures using the Wagner texturing tool. Several turners were able to replicate those textures with a minute or two of instruction. The tool was designed for small areas and works best on hard, not soft, woods.

Aaron Wingert
04-26-2009, 6:31 PM
If anyone has any ideas on how to make the Wagner work better I'm all ears! I tried it on cocobolo and it was only making a slight indentation, even when leveraging the tool below center using the tool rest as a fulcrum, and really putting some force into it. Seems to me that it does not cut the wood, it makes an indentation in it. There are no cutting surfaces on the Wagner tool as far as I can tell...Just a knurled wheel.

The Sorby cuts, but can also be used on edge to make indentations.

I haven't seen the Bonnie Klein tool! Might have to check that out.

Steve Mellott
04-26-2009, 7:29 PM
I've never used the Wagner tool but just returned from a woodturning symposium where the Craft Supplies staff demonstrated the tool. Wagner actually makes 3 tools - featuring different patterns and designed for different types of wood. The results were very nice and Craft Supplies had a long line of customers after the demonstration. After seeing the demonstration I was somewhat disappointed that I had paid so much for the Sorbey system.

(I have no association with either Wagner or Craft Supplies.)

Steve

John Terefenko
04-26-2009, 7:44 PM
Steve

Have you tried it yet??? What woods were they using it on??? You would think the heads would be interchangable on the Wagner instead of buying the whole tool. That is the way I read it in the catalog. Or am I wrong and you can buy seperate heads???

David Walser
04-26-2009, 10:12 PM
... You would think the heads would be interchangable on the Wagner instead of buying the whole tool. That is the way I read it in the catalog. Or am I wrong and you can buy seperate heads???

You cannot interchange the heads on the Wagner. The tool is simplicity itself, but simplicity does not allow for screws and nuts and such -- which makes changing the heads not an option. (You can, with a drift punch, replace a head that's been damaged. You wouldn't want to do that very often.)

John Terefenko
04-26-2009, 10:46 PM
You cannot interchange the heads on the Wagner. The tool is simplicity itself, but simplicity does not allow for screws and nuts and such -- which makes changing the heads not an option. (You can, with a drift punch, replace a head that's been damaged. You wouldn't want to do that very often.)

Thanks David.

Steve Mellott
04-27-2009, 6:45 PM
John:

I've not used the tool - just saw the demonstration. You cannot interchange the heads like you can on the Sorbey system. (It would be great if you could, since each Wagner tool costs about $40.) I asked the demonstrator about suitable woods. He indicated one of the tools was good for traditional hardwoods (e.g. maple, cherry, walnut, etc.) He indicated the other tool was suitable for harder exotic woods. He also recommended that you not use the Wagner tool on oak. (The Wagner tooll is basically a knurling tool.)

Steve