PDA

View Full Version : Any "Must See's" in Michigan?

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-03-2004, 9:41 PM
My family and I will be travelling to Michigan Thursday for a weekend Family Reunion. We will be in the Troy, MI area.............which is near Rochester, just a tad north of Detroit. While I am not crazy about running around Detroit when I really don't know where I am going, I am interested in any Woodworking places of interest. We plan on touring Meadowbrook Hall.....which looks like a pretty impressive old mansion with some spectacular woodwork and carving. We will have some time on Thursday afternoon and most of the day Friday for some sightseeing. Any suggestions? TIA for any ideas, tips or suggestions. :)

Ken Garlock
08-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Kevin, several years ago, when I was a teenager, my folks and I toured the River Rouge Ford Plant in Dearborn. At that time they started with iron ore and sand, and at the end they drove off a car. The sand was to make the window glass. It is/was on the of the few total manufacturing plants in the world, at least at that time -- raw materials to finished product. :cool: We got to see them make steel and roll it. Saw them making V-8 engines and testing them. For me it was a real treat.

As I recall, we started the tour at the Ford Rotunda, heck I don't even know it is in existence anymore.

Just a thought.

Tom Peterson
08-03-2004, 10:38 PM
check out the Ford museum and Greenfield Village http://www.hfmgv.org/ It has been a few years since I visited, but very impressive

Mark Valsi
08-03-2004, 10:55 PM
Ooooooooooops,

No, sorry, it's in Columbus OH - IO !

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-03-2004, 11:04 PM
Thanks Ken, Tom and Mark. I have toured the Ford Plant and visited the Ford Museum and Greenfield Village in the past. I have been to the Detroit/Dearborne area several times, and I always try to take in something new. Ken, you are correct about the Rouge Plant, and as far as I know, it is still in operation. It is a fascinating tour, as is the Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. The replicated Independance Hall is really neat at Greenfield Village, as are the diplays of days gone by. I am sure we will find something wood related to peak my interest. It wouldn't be a good trip unless I left some Illinois money behind..........preferrably spent on some new Woodworking stuff! :D

Thanks for the replies..........I appreciate it!

Dan Mages
08-04-2004, 9:59 AM
If you like Muscle Cars, I reccomend checking out the Chrysler Museum. The basement is loaded with 50+ years of Mopar Muscle!

Dan

Matt Meiser
08-04-2004, 2:56 PM
There's the usual Woodcraft (2) and Rocker stores.

Assuming you are coming in I-94, you could go north on I-69 to Charlotte and go to Johnson's Workbench/Johnson's Lumber. From there it is about 15 mintues north to Lansing and I-96. That wouldn't take you too far out of the way.

Paul Downes
08-04-2004, 3:39 PM
Kevin, If you want to see wood ya need to go over da bridge and get inta yooperland. Heck I don't tink der err any trees in dat detroit town anymore. :D Keep da trolls beneet da bridge!

Brad Olson
08-04-2004, 4:42 PM
If you make it to the Charlotte, MI area let me know and maybe we could do lunch or diner. I go to school in East Lansing, but am usually home on the weekends and more than willing to meet up with a fellow SMCer.

Other things to consider...

Glenbrier Antiques near Ann Arbor in Dexter has a great collection of hand tools for sale, but it is a tad bit off the beaten path (call ahead for an appointment).

Cabela's is in Dundee and definately worth the stop

Sights in Detroit have already been mentioned, and those are all good ones. The Henry Ford museum is pretty good in my opinion.

If you are near Grand Rapids consider stopping downtown at the public museum of Grand Rapids it is pretty impressive.

If you are near Battle Creek go to Kellogg's cereal city, its pretty cool even for my wife who works there (at the Kellogg company, not the museum)

Brad Olson

Keith Starosta
08-05-2004, 7:28 AM
Kevin, If you want to see wood ya need to go over da bridge and get inta yooperland. Heck I don't tink der err any trees in dat detroit town anymore. :D Keep da trolls beneet da bridge!

:p :p

Paul, having spent the first 30 years of my life living just outside of Detroit, but spending almost every summer at Houghton Lake, your post made me laugh out loud!! I love the "yooper" accent!!

Keith