PDA

View Full Version : Don Pencil PL Wheel

Bob Hallowell
04-26-2009, 1:47 AM
After Don posted his primer a couple weeks ago on buffing I decided to buy his new PL wheel for lacquer.

First I want to say It came 3 days after I placed my order there was no delay like others had experience with ordering from him.

I used it tonight not on a turning but on a f### work hall table I just posted in the projects forum http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=110701

I chucked it up in my drill since he said only run it around 900 rpm's I figured it was ok. Man was I impressed my lacquer finish has never looked so good either on a turning or f### work. In my book this wheel is a keeper and works awesome and is a nice addition to my beall system.

Bob

Dewey Torres
04-26-2009, 1:55 AM
Awe come on Bob... you can say FLAT work... it is allowed ya know.

I am guessing you didn't start woodworking on the lathe right???

Don't forget your roots;)

I loved the IPE table. Where is the link on this buffing system? I would like to take a look at it.

Bob Hallowell
04-26-2009, 2:09 AM
Awe come on Bob... you can say FLAT work... it is allowed ya know.

I am guessing you didn't start woodworking on the lathe right???

Don't forget your roots;)

I loved the IPE table. Where is the link on this buffing system? I would like to take a look at it.

Dewey,
that four lettered f-word is allowed other places on the creek- But Ken, Bernie, and Steve get pretty darn grumpy if you use it here on the round forum.:D

Don sells complete kits just like the beall, but you can buy indvidual wheels and he just started sell the pl wheel. http://www.donpencil.com/
I just rebuffed one of my wifes cocobolo mills I made her that I had sprayed with lacquer and it came out very nice. One more thing I have noticed is- on my dark mills with open grain like cocobolo I would skip the White diamond wheel as it would get white in the grain but this pl compound doesn't.

Bob

Dewey Torres
04-26-2009, 2:18 AM
Forgive my idiot like searching skills but I just looked over the site and can't find anything called a Pl wheel:confused:

Dewey Torres
04-26-2009, 4:45 AM
Also,
Do you have any idea if the mandrels for his bowl buffs fit on the Bealle system MT2 adapter threads?

Jeff Nicol
04-26-2009, 6:53 AM
Bob, The F#$% table is worth all the time and effort you have put into it! The finish is great and the little "Blowfish" as Dewey calls it looks very much at home one your table! The buffing equip you bought from Don Pencil worked well and I hope others have the same experience with it!

Great work on both !

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
04-26-2009, 8:47 AM
Dewey,
that four lettered f-word is allowed other places on the creek- But Ken, Bernie, and Steve get pretty darn grumpy if you use it here on the round forum.:D

Bob

Yea Dewey we don't use the "F" word here and don't forget it.:D:cool:;):rolleyes:

Bob the table is a beauty. I really like the shine on it.

Steve Schlumpf
04-26-2009, 11:39 AM
... you can say FLAT work...
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Dewey.........Dewey............Dewey,

I understand, you being a new turner and all, but some things are traditional in this forum and while we do realize that there are other types of woodworking that can be done while waiting for our finishes to dry............. we do not discuss it here as it can upset the flow of the vortex!

It was an honest mistake and one I am willing to overlook........ this time.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.........

:D :D :D

Steve Schlumpf
04-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Good question and one I would like the answer to also.

Dewey Torres
04-26-2009, 11:50 AM
You guys are so funny...really!!!!

A person who does f-work exclusively never ever even knows that term until they become a turner! Only turners use it.

Before I learned to turn I just called it wood working as I had no round reference for it to be compared against.

I will follow the rules but here I was a new turner and had just learned the term f-work (thought I was cool using it) and now being told it is forbidden.:confused:

My apologies:).

Bob Hallowell
04-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Forgive my idiot like searching skills but I just looked over the site and can't find anything called a Pl wheel:confused:

Dewey,
It seems you have had a firm talking to, I warned you they get grumpy.

For some reason I can't link right to his page but if you go to his home page, Click on buffing system then indvidual units you will find it listed. Yes they fit my beall mandrel

Bob

Dewey Torres
04-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Dewey,
It seems you have had a firm talking to, I warned you they get grumpy.

For some reason I can't link right to his page but if you go to his home page, Click on buffing system then indvidual units you will find it listed. Yes they fit my beall mandrel

Bob

Yes, but I have thick skin:p

I feel like an idiot now as I was looking for PL and now see that it is Plastic Lacquer compound .... now that I know those threads are the same I think I will give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

Bernie Weishapl
04-26-2009, 10:09 PM
You guys are so funny...really!!!!

A person who does f-work exclusively never ever even knows that term until they become a turner! Only turners use it.

Before I learned to turn I just called it wood working as I had no round reference for it to be compared against.

I will follow the rules but here I was a new turner and had just learned the term f-work (thought I was cool using it) and now being told it is forbidden.:confused:

My apologies:).

Apology accepted BUT don't let it happen again or it is forty lashes with a wet noodle.:eek::rolleyes::cool:;)

Jim Kountz
04-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Ha ha Dewey got in trouble, Dewey got in trouble!! nah nah nah nah:D:D:D:D