PDA

View Full Version : Oak and fasteners - what to use / not to use

Brian Kincaid
04-25-2009, 11:06 PM
So, I work mostly with oak and I have always stuck with brass when I have to use screws.

I'm starting to wonder, though, if there are other finishes for fasteners that will not 'melt' over time.

I would like to make a mobile base for my router table with a big piece of 8/4 oak I have, but I would like to use cheap borg hex head bolts, etc for the hardware.

Is there some rule of thumb about what finish will work with oak and what will not?

Brian

Brian Kent
04-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Brian K

Are you talking about finish for the oak or finish for the fasteners?

Brian K

Chip Lindley
04-26-2009, 10:41 AM
If your oak is *dry* any fastener will work! Only green (unseasoned/un-kiln dried) oak tannins rust metal. Seasoned oak will cause very little (if any) reaction with common zinc-plated bolts, screws, or other fasteners.

Thomas Pender
04-26-2009, 2:22 PM
I use a variety of fasteners in white and red oak that come from McFeely's, Rockler, and my local hardware store. No problem with any of them.

Brian Kincaid
04-26-2009, 2:25 PM
I didn't realize kiln-dried wood was that much different, but I work with air-dried wood. I am trying to find out what finish of hardware will work. I know brass is okay, but I'm looking for something cheaper if possible.

Thanks for the help so far. I'm constantly amazed by the breadth of knowledge on this forum.

Brian

Chip Lindley
04-26-2009, 3:48 PM
Brian, there is a huge difference between seasoned/air-dried lumber and *dead-green*! If your lumber has been air-dried for at least 2 years it is about as dry as it is going to get! Oak need not be kiln-dried to be very usable. In fact, many purists demand air-dried stock!

There is also a huge difference between *bright zinc-plated* hardware and *hot-dipped/galvanized* nuts and bolts! Galvanized will not rust when exposed to the elements! But, for your purposes, I feel either will serve you well for joining parts of a mobile stand. Only *green* sawmill lumber will cause you real concern of the type you voice!

Steve Rozmiarek
04-26-2009, 4:26 PM
Chips right, there is no issue with dry oak, and any fastener will work.