PDA

View Full Version : Photograv Trotec Settings

Peter Meacham
04-25-2009, 8:09 PM
Does anyone have suggested Photograv V2.11 parameters settings for a Trotec 25/30 watt pls?

Bill Cunningham
04-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Ignore them....Even when set to the correct parameters, it won't affect the output file.. The machine settings are entered so the software can make a 'guess' at engraving speed and power for a particular subtrate/machine/maxpower and give you this info in the info section.. Test this by entering in a bunch of jibberish, in the machine/type/speed/spot size..etc. and process the file for cherry, save it .. then enter in another bunch of jiiberish process the file and save it with another name.. Now look at the two files, and you will see no difference at all.. the only place you will see a difference is in the 'info report' and speed power 'suggestions' .. Photograv 'suggestions' are usually not all that accurate, depends on how close your machine is to the ideal settings. Run test samples, and develop your own power/speed/dpi settings for your machine, and save them in a .dat file or whatever type of file a trotect uses.. The only way to cause a effect on the output file is in the actual parameters for the file processing and this will only improve with trial and error

Peter Meacham
04-25-2009, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the input Bill - I presume you must use Photograv - would you mind if I PM you with a couple of files and you process the photo for what you think should work on black marble pls.

Pete

Peter Meacham
04-26-2009, 6:06 PM
Well, I used Photograv for the first time on the photo portion of this little marble memorial - I'll get better as I use it more.

Dan Hintz
04-26-2009, 6:15 PM
Shouldn't that be "The Lord is my shepherd"?

Peter Meacham
04-26-2009, 6:18 PM
Dan - yes it should - thanks for catching that

Bill Cunningham
05-02-2009, 9:37 PM
Thanks for the input Bill - I presume you must use Photograv - would you mind if I PM you with a couple of files and you process the photo for what you think should work on black marble pls.

Pete

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner.. this month has been nuts...A lot of times on 'real' marble, I won't use phtograv at all.. Marble etches to a nice white (if it etches gray it's not really marble no matter what they call it) so I just use the photo halftone in the epilog driver.. Photograv 2.11 has a blackmarble.prm in the new parameters folder.. If you don't have it, and it's not on their website let me know and I'll send it to you..

Mike Null
05-03-2009, 7:43 AM
Pete

It looks like your engraving went quite well. If you don't mind a bit of critique I would suggest you take a look at adjusting the fonts (kerning) to separate the characters and make the text more readable. Secondly I would reduce the size of the script as it dominates the piece and has no separation. I would also reduce the size of the name by 2 or 4 points as well as doing the kerning.

Peter Meacham
05-03-2009, 8:56 AM
Mike & Bill

Thanks for the inputs - all good points. Actually, due to the mispelling of Shepherd I needed to redo it on another piece of marble - different shape and I made changes as you suggested to text size, etc. I didn't take a photo but the item is over in England now and I think I will be getting a photo from there.

Thanks again. Pete