PDA

View Full Version : Another First - Square Bowl Wormy Persimmon

Ben Brown27
04-25-2009, 7:19 PM
Some of you may have seen this over at penturners, but I figure there are more "Other Stuff" turners over here. I've only been turning since last Sept, and only recently ventured away from my pen safety zone. Please feel free to make any comments.

This a square/winged bowl in some verrryyy wormy persimmon. This bowl is a floater as the corners don't quite touch the table top. I want to do another that is a bit taller and actually rests on the corners. It's about 7" square. it was sanded to 400 then had several coats of semi-gloss spray lacquer. I included a shot with it upside down so you can see the bottom as well.

John Fricke
04-25-2009, 7:41 PM
WOW those worms sure added some fantastic character to that wood. Your efforts don't go unnoticed either. Fine looking piece.

Dewey Torres
04-25-2009, 7:57 PM
Another lovely work Ben. You learned pretty fast to have only started since last Sept! Great work. I hope to try one of these bowls soon.

Steve Schlumpf
04-25-2009, 8:03 PM
Ben - that sure is some amazing wood! Nice work on the form! The bowl sure grabs your attention! Pretty cool stuff!

Joshua Dinerstein
04-26-2009, 12:59 AM
Excellent work. That wormy wood is amazing to look at. Very NICE!

Joshua

Richard Madison
04-26-2009, 1:46 AM
Ben,
Welcome to "other stuff" turning forum. I think you belong here. Gor-gee-ose piece of wood and pretty nice turning thereof.

On next one consider a more rounded bowl shape, inside and out. Looking forward to seeing the next one.

Aaron Wingert
04-26-2009, 2:24 AM
And I get excited when I see five or six wormholes! Nice work Ben (and worms).

charlie knighton
04-26-2009, 3:49 AM
very nice, lots of character, my neighbor is getting ready to cut some persimmon, while these will not have the worm holes, i have never turned any persimmon

Jeff Nicol
04-26-2009, 6:55 AM
Ben, The combination of the worm trails and the shape of the bowl really work together on this one! I love the color and the texture of it!

Super job,

Jeff

Ben Brown27
04-26-2009, 8:13 AM
Thanks everybody. My dad said he had a persimmon that had been down for about a year, imagine my surprise when I first cut into it. Now I have a whole tree just like this. Also, this wood is the easiest turning wood I've used. It turns smooth as can be. I don't think solid persimmon would be as easy, but with this wood your turning about half wood half worm.

I've got another small bowl I turned with this wood and I'm using a dental pick to clean out all the worm holes. I think it makes a neat effect.

Bernie Weishapl
04-26-2009, 8:31 AM
That is a beauty. Great looking wood and finish.

Brian McInturff
04-26-2009, 9:03 AM
Ben,
That's a fantastic looking piece. I normally think square bowls should be for plain wood to show off the details of the bowl, but, in this case the worm holes really add to it. I really like this one. Great form too.:cool:

Steve Mawson
04-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Great find on the wood and you did it proud.