PDA

View Full Version : I turned it, but what is it?

Mark Burge
04-25-2009, 6:32 PM
This is one of those things that emerged on the lathe. I just liked the form so I finished it off without thinking about what it might be or how to display it. At first I thought I would hollow out the bowl part and make a scoop. I even considered rechucking it to hollow it out with the handle spinning off center, but prudence prevailed (and it wouldn't fit my lathe very well). (Side note: if I get a bigger lathe, I will be less prudent.) Then, I considered some sort of adornment like burning, but I couldn't decide on a pattern. Finally, I came upon some old bailing twine (from my parent's farm in Kentucky) and I decided to wind it on the handle. Overall, I am pleased with the result.

I finally decided it was a pestle, but that leaves me needing to turn a mortar for it.

Oak with wax finish.

Thanks for looking. Your comments are appreciated.

Jim Kountz
04-25-2009, 7:18 PM
Well I cant help out with the ID but I like it too!! Looks like a huge head knocker to me!!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-25-2009, 7:20 PM
As the Official Minister of Bonkers at SMC......I pronounce that the very first "Southern Fried Farm Bonker"! Well done sir!

Don Carter
04-25-2009, 7:27 PM
Mark:
You could knock knots on somebody's head faster than they could rub 'em!

Sometimes, the wood just speaks to you.;)

John Fricke
04-25-2009, 7:38 PM
Them is gonna be some darn big horse pills to warrant that bigga pestle.

Purty grain in that thar wood.

Bill Bolen
04-25-2009, 8:32 PM
That is the finest oak bonker with a nautical theme (roped handle) that I ever laid these old eyes on!...Bill..

Mark Burge
04-25-2009, 8:56 PM
LOL - LOML agrees with you and said that we have to keep it on the mantle where our boys (5 yrs and 3 yrs) can't use it for a Bonker!

Mark Norman
04-25-2009, 9:15 PM
LOL at the idea gone nowhere... but it looks cool and could be used for serious bonking... I just hope I'm not on the receiving end of said bonk...LOL LOL

alex carey
04-25-2009, 9:28 PM
It reminds me of the weapon magua uses in The Last of the Mohicans.

Kieran Kammerer
04-25-2009, 10:11 PM
Fish whacker

Mark Burge
04-25-2009, 10:40 PM
Fish whacker

Is that of the Monty Python or the Veggietale's variety?

Steve Schlumpf
04-25-2009, 10:47 PM
Mark - I really like the shape on this! Would make for a great hollow form! Reminds me of a Chianti bottle! Nice work!

Mark Burge
04-25-2009, 11:04 PM
Thanks Steve and every one else. Steve, I think I would have to shorten the neck quite a bit to be able to hollow this form. Maybe it's just because I don't have a deep hollowing system, only one bent neck scraper. It would be cool hollowed though.

Steve Schlumpf
04-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Mark - there are always options...... You could drill through the neck to reach the bulbous portion and then finish turn the opening at the neck. Then reverse and hollow the form through the bottom. When finished - turn a plug of matching - or contrasting material and seal it! It's not like someone is going to run there finger in there to check how smooth it is or anything!

Dennis Puskar
04-26-2009, 12:30 AM
I agree with Alex The Last of The Mochinas.

Dennis

Curt Fuller
04-26-2009, 12:34 AM
I don't know what it is either, but it's a fine example of whatever it is. I think if you hooked it on you belt and walked around with it for a couple days you'd find somebody that would know what it is.

Richard Madison
04-26-2009, 12:44 AM
Very nice smooth, continuous curvature and enhancement. As mentioned, probably the best one of those I have ever seen. Gotta hope the oak does not crack.