PDA

View Full Version : Lathe stand

Mark Burge
04-25-2009, 6:20 PM
I have been meaning to post some pictures of the stand I made for my Jet Mini. It is made from three torsion boxes. The ends are 2X4 around the edge and two short ones across the middle then 1/2" plywood glued and screwed on both sides. The middle section is constructed the same way but with three cross members inside and it's filled with 60 lbs of sand for stabilization. This sucker is heavy. The two threaded rods go all the way through and bolt the end pieces to the middle. It is based on a design for a woodworking bench that I made a while back (I have seen the plans repeated over the years in several magazines but I think it was an American WW that I worked from originally). So far it has worked satisfactorily. I need to work on leveling the feet some because there is a little bit of wobble. I am also planning on making some sort of gouge holder in the middle. I may go with the idea someone posted a while back with nails lined up to make a rack. I want to make sure that shavings can drop through.

Thanks for looking,
Mark

Steve Schlumpf
04-25-2009, 8:13 PM
Mark - it looks like you put some time and effort into building this stand! The word Stout comes to mind! Looks like it should work great! Happy turning!

Bill Bolen
04-25-2009, 8:22 PM
Now that is a lot of stand for a mini! It should not move on you even if you put the kitchen sink on it. Nice job...Bill..

alex carey
04-25-2009, 9:01 PM
Looks like a sturdy stand for your lathe. Well done.

Bernie Weishapl
04-26-2009, 9:04 AM
That is a stout well made bench. Well done.