PDA

View Full Version : Bed making question....

David Eisan
04-25-2009, 6:06 PM
Hello everyone,

First of all, this is not about how to properly make hospital corners.

I am about to make a bed frame for our new queen mattress. I have not measured it yet, but I plan to. Standard queen dimensions are 60"x80". When building a wooden bed frame that will trap all four sides of the mattress, what is the standard "allowance" for fit? Is there some standard for clearance between the mattress, headboard, foot board and side rails?

Thank you,

David.

Doug Mason
04-25-2009, 6:46 PM
While not answering you're question directly, other than to say I'm in the planning phase on making a queen sized windsor bed using Jeff Miller's plans. He has an excellent book on making beds--I would check it out.

Stephen Tashiro
04-25-2009, 6:59 PM
On the beds that I have seen the mattress is supported by slats and it is the slats that must be supported by the bed frame. One important consideration in a bed design is how hard it will be to make the bed (in the sense of putting on the linen). If the sides are high then this is a hard job and you may also scrape your butt on them when you slide out. If they are too low then they don't protect the sides of box springs (if these are a separate unit from the mattress) from getting dusty. If there are sharp edges on the frame at the corners, it is uncomfortable to put the linen on.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-25-2009, 7:04 PM
the first bed I made was a water-bed after that 1970's style when everything looked like Conan the Barbarian made it.
I just went into a water bed store and used a tape measure. The store people had no idea that I was just cribbing the dimensions.

Thomas S Stockton
04-25-2009, 7:12 PM
Last bed I made I used 1" on each side and a total of 3" top to bottom.
Tom

Art Mulder
04-25-2009, 8:22 PM
When building a wooden bed frame that will trap all four sides of the mattress,

Just to clarify... will there be a boxspring or not? You don't mention one, but the people responding seem to assume yes...

John Thompson
04-25-2009, 9:56 PM
I do 1 1/2" side clearance and 2" end clearances as my wife always gets those 3 mile thick comforters. The perfect clearance is not too loose.. not too tight... just right. :)

I can reccomend on hospital corners also as I seem to remember having done a few somewhere along the road of life.

Sarge..