PDA

View Full Version : Construction - "Un-enclosing" a deck

Dell Moore
04-25-2009, 5:52 PM
Hey true believers...

We just moved into a new place, and at some point someone enclosed the deck at the back of the house. I makes for nice storage, but that's about it. Large windows make it too hot in the afternoon, and it's too cold in the wintertime. My wife wants to retro fit it back to an open deck.

I"m thinking keep the roof and side, and remove all 5 of the windows and leave just one large open space. Cabana like. Keep the lights and fans.

Any thoughts? Let'em fly...

Dell

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-25-2009, 7:00 PM
leaving the roof will make it useful in the rain but it'll deny you the stars.
I'd go with the stars and lose the roof. If it's got full sun make the deckboards white. Otherwise it'll be beastly hot in the summer.

Art Mulder
04-25-2009, 8:19 PM
My gut feeling is like you - keep the roof, if it looks good and fits with the house.
Is it on the South, East, North, West? Does it get lots of sun or shade or?
got a photo?

ps: why not try it one season with no windows before going for the full demolition.
It's like cutting a board, you can always cut it shorter, but you can't cut it longer!

Lee Schierer
04-25-2009, 8:30 PM
I agree with Art, remove the window sashes and try it for a season with openings rather than windows. Bear in mind if you open it up it won't be any warmer in the winter than it is now.

Don Bullock
04-25-2009, 8:52 PM
Your post is a little ironic for us. We just sort of did the opposite. We had an open deck that we turned into an enclosed room. The seven "windows" are 4'x4' openings with screens. It should be delightful for most of the year in Southern California. We had a similar screened in area in another home many years ago and missed having one.

Chris Ricker
04-25-2009, 11:20 PM
I'm not sure what part of the country you live in but the "skeeters" can get mighty annoying around here(Ohio) in the summer and fall. I would consider replacing the windows for full screens and enjoy for it the summer:)
after that you should have a better idea about what you need and want.

Dell Moore
04-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Hey folks,

We live in the mountains of Tennessee. I've not lived a summer here yet, but I understand it can get hot.

My PRIMARY problem is that the wife is complaining that the view is obstructed by the posts between the present windows. Whoever first enclosed the porch put in 5 windows, 2 standard width (34") and three 54" inch windows. There are 6" posts in between.

Also, we JUST put a new roof on the porch. Need to remind the wife about that! (argh :mad:).

MAYBE take out all the windows, put a single post in, and screen it?

Opinions?

Thanks!

Dell

Neil Bosdet
04-26-2009, 11:25 AM
My PRIMARY problem is that the wife is complaining that the view is obstructed by the posts between the present windows. Whoever first enclosed the porch put in 5 windows, 2 standard width (34") and three 54" inch windows. There are 6" posts in between.

Also, we JUST put a new roof on the porch. Need to remind the wife about that! (argh :mad:).

MAYBE take out all the windows, put a single post in, and screen it?

What have you got for structure above the windows? Can you see? If so, post what it is and better yet, post pictures. If the wall is not structured with a continuous beam (header) above the windows then you can't remove the posts between the windows. The posts will be bearing. If this is the case and you still want to remove the posts you may want to spend a small amount of money on a structural engineer to determine what you'd have to do in order to remove the posts and keep the roof. Do you get snow? If so, roof load will be important.

My first thought is live with it before you take it apart. I'd keep the roof for sure. Personally, I'd want the windows to open and have screens (if it's buggy). If your windows don't open then that might be something to consider changing. The nature of what you have will extend your enjoyment of this space to near year round. Especially if it gets sun in the winter. The room should warm and provide a nice space that would otherwise be unused in colder times of the year.

richard poitras
04-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Leave the roof, take the windows out and extend the deck out for more space. That way if it rains you don’t get wet and your furniture will last longer from rain, wind, and UV rays of the sun and when you wont to have a un-obstructed view just sit on the outer perimeter of the deck the best of both worlds..