PDA

View Full Version : Critique Please - First Time Hollow Form - Cherry Burl

Ben Brown27
04-25-2009, 5:22 PM
Okay, this is my first time doing a hollow form or a pedestal for that mater. I've still got lots of learning to do, but I haven't seen many HF's in real life, so I don't always know what little things to notice.

This is a piece of cherry burl, it is about 4 3/4" tall and 4" wide. The pedestal is Rosewood. Both were sanded to 400 grit and finished with spray semi-gloss lacquer. I don' have any buffing tools, so I used micromesh pads to buff the finish.

Any comments or guidence would definatly be appreciated. The photos are a work in progress as well. I've never really taken pictures of anything other than pens. If you are interested, you can see some of my pens on my website - address is on my profile page.

Toney Robertson
04-25-2009, 5:48 PM
Ben,

The HF is wonderful. Great wood and you did it justice.

The pedestal reminds me a lot of my first attempt. I liked my second one a whole lot better because it was not so straight. I think that might apply here.

Here is my first attempt. I think you will see the similarities with yours. Yours has better balance because your embellishment in the middle is better proportioned.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/IMG_3170.jpg

Here is what I made the second time around.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/186-86.jpg

What do you think?

Toney

Dewey Torres
04-25-2009, 5:58 PM
Are you the same Ben from the IAP forum?

I thought I saw this one in the "other things we make" section but the pics here on the creek are much better. Welcome to the creek Ben. There are also plenty of pen turners here too but predominantly "other" turnings. I think you will like the forum!

Bill Bolen
04-25-2009, 5:58 PM
Ben for the 1st or the 101's this is just plain beautiful. Wonderful form and finish. The pedestal really fits the piece. Photo is excellent too...Bill...

Ben Brown27
04-25-2009, 6:46 PM
Toney: I do like your second pedestal. I usually like the thin pedestals, and originally I had planned on doing a finial, but the burl didn't cooperate. I really need to work on my accenting and such. I wanted to do a couple of teardrops but the failed.

Dewey: Same one. I finally found my digital camera, so I took some fresh pictures before posting them here. I wanted people to be able to see the details so they could make critiques.

Bill: Thanks.

I really love the look of hollow forms with burls, but I have been afraid to turn any purchased burls. My brother-in-law showed up with this big burl a couple of months ago, and when I cut it I just knew I had to give it a try.

Jeff Nicol
04-25-2009, 6:53 PM
Ben, Nothing bad to say about it from me! It looks great with the natural edge opening. Keep up the great work!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
04-25-2009, 6:58 PM
Great looking HF for a first. Like the form and wood.

Jim Kountz
04-25-2009, 7:12 PM
Very nice, love the form and color!!
Well done!!

Steve Schlumpf
04-25-2009, 8:00 PM
Ben - Welcome to the Creek! Real nice work on both the hollow form and the pedestal! I do agree with Toney in that the pedestal is a little on the straight side and may look better if they was more of a curve to each section. Overall - I think this is real impressive work! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

alex carey
04-25-2009, 9:02 PM
I NEVER would have believed that was your first hollow form. Looking great, you did an awesome job.

Alex

Dick Strauss
04-26-2009, 11:53 AM
Ben,
I think your HF is very nice. You might want to try to have the pedestal reflect the curves of the HF better. The bottom and top of the pedestal looks very angular (straight lines that intersect) yet you have a very curvaceous HF. I think this is why you like Toney's second attempt better because the pedestal curves are reflected in the HF. Overall I think it is a great first attempt! Keep up the good work!

Bob Hallowell
04-26-2009, 12:16 PM
I think it is great, I like it better without the stand though.

Bob

Ben Brown27
04-26-2009, 12:59 PM
I agree. The more I look at the stand, the less I like it. I've HF/Bowl that I just finished, I'm going to try making a pedestal for it. hopefully it will turn out a little bit better. This was the first pedestal/stand I've turned, and my first experience with spindle gouge. I'm used to using just a rouging gouge and skew.

Toney Robertson
04-26-2009, 1:53 PM
I agree. The more I look at the stand, the less I like it. I've HF/Bowl that I just finished, I'm going to try making a pedestal for it. hopefully it will turn out a little bit better. This was the first pedestal/stand I've turned, and my first experience with spindle gouge. I'm used to using just a rouging gouge and skew.

Ben,

Don't be discouraged. After I turned the first pedestal that I pictured I received the same advice. Fortunately I has not attached the two and I had the opportunity to made the second one better. Even then I turned two practices ones before I used the expensive blackwood.

Your HF is outstanding especially since it was your first. I have yet to do one but I hope my first will compare to yours.

Make sure you post your second attempt.

Toney