PDA

View Full Version : Bevel Sled - Revisited

glenn bradley
04-25-2009, 2:24 PM
I was actually planning ahead for Christmas gifts this year and so am putting together some small boxes out of old packing material. These are dummys so that LOML can pass judgment on which styles I will make a batch of for real.

This led me to search for my bevel sled. I haven't seen it for a year or so. It ended up being hidden behind some cutoff panels leaning on the freezer. A quick 5-cut test showed all was still square so away I go.

The reason for the post is that sometimes folks will mention things in passing or I will see something in the background of an unrelated post and think "Oh yeah, I meant to do something like that". So, since I dug this out, here you go.

This is built almost to my (now) standard sled build. 3/4" BB ply base, 1-1/2" thick rear fence and a 2" thick front fence. The fences on this guy are a bit thinner since that is what I had on hand when I slapped him together. I keep all my front fence heights close to the same (3-1/2") to allow better use of stops and such.

I didn't put ZCI's on this one as it is just for 45*. The way I build my sleds, ZCI's can be added later if I decide to expand the sled's use. Here's an overall view with a couple other sleds in the background to show the family resemblance. The middle sized one has a sacrificial fence clamped on with a key installed for some box joints I was doing last. As you can see, I am a big fan of a large dummy-block to bury the blade into. For reference, I call the fence that is closest to me when using the sled the "front" fence. Maybe that's backwards(?).

Here's a shot of the bottom. The runners happen to be red oak but I have used UHMW and aluminum as well. You can see the four fence adjustment t-bolts. This is a key element in my choice of sled design as it assures adjustability and a long life.

Close up of the t-bolt pocket. I drill the two extreme ends with a Forstner and use a chisel to make the two round holes into a connected oval. The t-bolts are 1/4" shaft and the through hole in the base is 3/8". The through holes in the fence are a real tight fit to the bolt shaft. All the adjustment is in the 3/8" hole in the base and the oval pocket.

The bolts and their associated washers and locking nuts are recessed into the top of the front fence to allow holddowns and stops to be placed without restriction.

The track is positioned right over the runners and screwed to them through the base. The Forstner hole at the rear fence end of the track dado allows access to get the t-bolt head into the track.

Greg Hines, MD
04-25-2009, 4:54 PM
That is a fine looking sled, Glenn. When I get a new saw, I will build one, but as you say, I want to have a zero clearance insert for it. The way that I have decided is to make a dovetail shaped channel for it, then bevel each edge of a, say, 1/4" hardboard insert. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Doc

glenn bradley
04-25-2009, 5:10 PM
The way that I have decided is to make a dovetail shaped channel for it

I think you will find that after the first cut you will have two halves with nothing to keep them from coming out of the dovetail way. I did use that method for a DP table insert once though and it worked well.

Lee Schierer
04-25-2009, 6:07 PM
Its a nice looking sled, but I must be visually impaired to day. How do you cut 45 degree bevels with it. Can you show it in action??

Greg Hines, MD
04-25-2009, 7:51 PM
I think you will find that after the first cut you will have two halves with nothing to keep them from coming out of the dovetail way. I did use that method for a DP table insert once though and it worked well.

I considered that problem. What I think I would do is mend the insert after the front cut, and not cut all the way through the rear of it.

Doc

glenn bradley
04-25-2009, 8:23 PM
I considered that problem. What I think I would do is mend the insert after the front cut, and not cut all the way through the rear of it.

Doc

Ah, you have seen the problem and were already planning a method that avoids it, kudos!

glenn bradley
04-25-2009, 8:33 PM
Its a nice looking sled, but I must be visually impaired to day. How do you cut 45 degree bevels with it. Can you show it in action??

Maybe my terminology is fuzzy; bevels / miters. They are miters but not like a picture frame ;-)

Stephen Edwards
04-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Is there any reason that you couldn't cut picture frames accurately with this sled? Am I missing something?

glenn bradley
04-26-2009, 12:47 AM
Is there any reason that you couldn't cut picture frames accurately with this sled? Am I missing something?

As long as the material didn't exceed the blade capacity, you would be fine. The type with an inverted "V" are more common as the material thickness is not generally in excess of its width. This sled would subtract 3/4" from your saws current maximum cut at 45*. Mine is about 2-1/8" without the sled.

Stephen Edwards
04-26-2009, 9:46 AM
As long as the material didn't exceed the blade capacity, you would be fine. The type with an inverted "V" are more common as the material thickness is not generally in excess of its width. This sled would subtract 3/4" from your saws current maximum cut at 45*. Mine is about 2-1/8" without the sled.

Thanks Glenn. I had never even considered making a dedicated bevel sled. I have cut bevels with my very basic shop built crosscut sled that that is on just on the right side of the blade. I have another piece of material the same thickness of the sled base that sits on the table on the left side of the blade.

In fact, truth be told, until I started coming to SMC I hadn't even heard of a cross cut sled. That's what I get for being a hermit who lives in the boonies. I'm sold on the idea after building my first basic sled. It doesn't look much but it sure cuts dead on perfect 90s, even on a 2' panel. I'm also sold on SMC and the enormous amount of knowledge available here! It has sure helped me to be a better woodworker.

So, when I get around to building my new sled, based on John Nixon's new Super Sled concept, I'll make a bevel sled similar to yours at the same time. Thanks for the idea.

One thing that I'm still not clear about: In the discussion about ZCI's for this bevel sled, would the purpose of that be so that you could use it to make bevels/miters other than 45 degrees? If you're only going to use it for 45 degree cuts, you wouldn't need the ZCI, correct?

Thanks again.

Andy Sowers
04-26-2009, 11:22 AM
If you don't have a replaceable ZCI then if you cut both a 90deg cut and a 45deg cut on the same sled, then you'll end up with a big chunk of missing sled between the two kerfs. With the insert concept, you can use dedicated inserts for 90deg, bevel cuts, or dados.

I'm in the process of making a new sled for a new saw, I was planning to incorporate replaceable inserts so I could cut down on the number sleds in the shop. I was also planning on making a extendable stop block for wider capacity, have folks done this? If so, I'd like to see them!

Thanks
Andy

Paul Fitzgerald
04-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Glenn,

Thanks for posting this!

In case anyone else was wondering... I found another one of your sleds here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=50581.

Paul