PDA

View Full Version : G0448 mortiser

Martin Gerber
04-25-2009, 1:17 PM
I am considering purchasing a Grizzly G0448 mortiser. In searching prior postings, I don't see it mentioned much. I would be interested in anyones experience with it: Likes, Dislikes and would they purchase one again.

Thanks.

Eddie Simmons
04-27-2009, 6:42 AM
I have used it twice, works very well. Do have trouble with getting the square holes to line up, when making a long mortise cut. For me there is a learning curve. Still looking for a good bit, that may be the secret to the process. I would buy it again.
Thanks
Eddie

Martin Gerber
04-28-2009, 5:49 PM
there does not appear to be many members that own the full sized floor standing Grizzly G0448 mortiser.

Any experience with other full sized mortisers such as the General, Powermatic or Woodtech?

any input would be appreciated.

Paul Ryan
04-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Martin,

I own the Jet floor stand mortiser. I bought it in Dec when it was on sale and had all of those rebate. It is a really nice machine. Super easy to use, set up, and adjust. A couple of weeks ago I cut 52 mortises over the weekend with it for my 1st of 2 beds. It really makes it easy with the x-y table. I really dont know what else to say. It is the 1st mortise machine I have used and it sure makes it easy. The holes still need to be cleaned up slightly with a chisel but if you drill the mortises about 3/16 deeper than you need then clean up afterwards is really nill. I clamp the hose for my dust collector to it so that picks up all of the chips when drilling. For the amount of mortises I do it is over kill, but I only paid $350 for the machine so it was a heck of a deal. If you do alot of mortises or plan too I say buy a floor stand model. See if you can find a used one, but that is like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

Rod Sheridan
04-29-2009, 8:33 AM
there does not appear to be many members that own the full sized floor standing Grizzly G0448 mortiser.

Any experience with other full sized mortisers such as the General, Powermatic or Woodtech?

any input would be appreciated.

I've used the General, however don't compare it to the Grizzly, Woodtech or Powermatic, there's a 1 to 10 price difference (at least) on those machines compared to the General.

The General is an industrial machine, meant for shift long use, day in day out, certainly not a hobby type machine, unless you stumble across a used one for a great price.

Regards, Rod.

Gary Herrmann
04-29-2009, 9:17 AM
Agree with Rod. I have 3 General tools and would love to have more. The General mortiser weighs about 1000 lbs and is way more than I would ever need. I also got in on the Jet JFM5 deal back in December and am very happy with it. Have a bed project coming up and it will make life a lot easier.