PDA

View Full Version : Two Mallets and a Goblet

Jeff Nicol
04-25-2009, 12:16 PM
Well it is a rainy wet day here in Wisconsin and I have been up since 3:30 this morning. So out to the shop I went and started cleaning things up and these 2 pieces of Hop Hornbeam were in the way so they became carvers mallets! They have a few worm holes for character with some danish oil to pop the grain! I used the skew to create some spiral cuts on the handles for a little extra grip! The goblet is turned from some of that Siberian Elm I got a month or so ago. It turns very nice and the stringyness of the elm is great for small stems on goblets! The grain is nice and the color good too. It is 6.5" x 2.25" Goblets are great skew practice and fun to do no matter what.

Thanks for checking them out.

Jeff

Andrew Derhammer
04-25-2009, 12:23 PM
I love the goblet. The grain shows alot of character to it.

Steve Schlumpf
04-25-2009, 12:24 PM
Wow - you been busy! Great looking - functional mallets! Love the goblet! Pretty wood, very nice form and finish! Nice work on everything!

Allen Neighbors
04-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Well done, and a really good choice of wood for the mallets, too!
I like the shape of the goblet, too. All around good work!

Chris Rae
04-25-2009, 1:04 PM
Nice work! I love the goblet, I haven't been brave enough to try anything with that small a stem yet. Lovely wood too.

Nathan Hawkes
04-25-2009, 5:15 PM
Great productive morning! I like the spiral cut in the handle. Very nice idea that I'm going to have to borrow! :D;)

Mitchell Cholewinski
04-25-2009, 5:49 PM
Jeff
Nice all around work Jeff, you did good on the three of them. Mitch

Dewey Torres
04-25-2009, 5:54 PM
Jeff,
I didn't know you carved...

learn something new every day...

Hey just so you know, I have become a master at creating those spirals with the scew so if you ever wish to learn how to refine your technique let me know:rolleyes:

Jeff Nicol
04-25-2009, 7:02 PM
Jeff,
I didn't know you carved...

learn something new every day...

Hey just so you know, I have become a master at creating those spirals with the scew so if you ever wish to learn how to refine your technique let me know:rolleyes:
Dewey, In the beginning of my turning career I did it all the time and did not want to do it either! But it is nice now to be able to do it when I want. They feel very cool in your hand with the spirals!

Jeff

Jeff Nicol
04-25-2009, 7:05 PM
Well the little goblet was a piece that had been laying on the bench for a few weeks and I was doing some house cleaning and I just could not bring myself to toss it out! So the goblet came to be! The mallets have been on the list of things to make for a long time. I have lots of projects ready to carve and needed some good "Whackers" these 2 ought to do the job!

Thanks all,

Jeff

Jim Kountz
04-25-2009, 7:11 PM
Very cool mallets Jeff, love the goblet too!!