PDA

View Full Version : Moisture Meter, Which one?

jason lambert
04-25-2009, 9:10 AM
Are these pretty much the same? I just need a small moisture meter apperently I am having trouble turning stuff because the wood is to wet and I need to measure it. A moisture meter is probably is not a bad thing to have anyhow so I want to get a decent one but not break the bank. Can someone recomend one and the best place to get it.

I did a search and all I came up with is don't buy the HF one. I probably wouldn't anyhow.

I am also thinking of the Lignomat Moisture Meter Mini-Ligno S/D the digital one anyone using that? or is that total overkill and all I need to spen is $30 instead of $130.

Jason

Joe Hardesty
04-25-2009, 9:25 AM
I can highly recommend the Wagner MMC 220 available at Woodcraft, but there are other good meters that are less expensive and may fit your need.

The MMC 220 is pinless which makes it ideal when shopping for wood and when selecting pieces from a group, but you are paying for convenience more than increased accuracy.

Delmhosrt and Lignomat also make good meters. Available from Amazon among others.

Larry Edgerton
04-25-2009, 3:54 PM
Delmhorst.

A mini Ligno cost me thousands when it malfuntioned, will not recommend one.

The way I see it a moisture meter is not a tool to compromise on. If it malfuntions how do you know? You don't. You find out later. You would be better served to go without than have a questionable one. Most pros around here use Delmhorst.

Julian Nicks
04-25-2009, 7:56 PM
I've had great success with the comptec pro. It's made in Canada, is idiot proof, and hasn't let me down yet.http://www.comproteccanada.com/

I bought mine on sale from amazon for $65 a while back.

Peter Quinn
04-25-2009, 9:58 PM
Delmhorst. Most pros around here use Delmhorst.

Ditto. Delmhorst. I use a Delmhorst in my shop. My boss uses a Delmhorst for his business. The materials cost on a single screwed commission or project is greater than the cost of a VERY good Delmhorst. And nothing breaks the bank quicker than buying all your wood twice. Of couyrse you can always do like the old days and age your wood for decades so you're sure its ready!:D