PDA

View Full Version : Central Machinery 34706 for beginner, what else needed?

David Hostetler
04-25-2009, 12:30 AM
After reading countless threads and reviews of the Harbor Freight 34706, and seeing that people were telling me it is just a clone of the Jet 1236, and actually laying hands on both, I snagged a Central Machinery 34706 since my local HF finally got one in. It was on a $199.00 rain check, and a 20% coupon. (For $160.00, I can get that much back is scrap metal if I had to...)

My question is, now what? I am COMPLETELY new to turning, beyond a few hands on demos I have NEVER done any turning... So what chisels etc... do I need?

I have the book "Learn to turn" on the way, and of course a mess of videos, but I am not sure beyond calipers what I need...

I am considering the PSI 8 pc HSS set...

Amazon link. (http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-LCHSS8-8-Piece-Chisel/dp/B000KI8CTS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1240631269&sr=1-1)

And this caliper set (http://www.amazon.com/Big-Horn-19053-Caliper-3-Pieces/dp/B001DDWQ4Q/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1240631626&sr=1-9).

Are either of those worth considering? What else do I need to get starting going round & round?

What about decent chucks that won't run me into the poor house?

Scott Conners
04-25-2009, 12:57 AM
The PSI set is a good start. Harbor freight sells a set that is extremely similar (same tools, possibly same factory) for about $40. I and many other used it as a starting set, and it works great. I still use a few of the tools very often (parting tool especially).

You'll also find a set of those three dividers, a machinists rule, and a cheap depth gauge at HF. Not high quality, but a great deal for the price, and quite functional. I still use them and keep the little ruler in my apron pencil pocket on my chest.

Even better, I just picked up the giant 12" or 14" dividers/compass. I actually bought The big (10"?) Groz wing compass from Rockler the same day, and returned it because it was so darn sticky, I couldn't adjust it accurately. I expected smooth for $30. The HF dividers are still a bit sticky, but are defintely much better than the Groz ones, and they were like $7! The little thumbscrew to hold the pencil in is tiny and just digs in to normal wood pencils, I've been meaning to tap the hole bigger and buy a better thumbscrew, but for $7 they are a great deal.

I LOVE my PSI barracuda 2 chuck. It's a really great value with all the jaws it includes, i'm amazed at how often I switch jaws, I don't knwo what I'd do if I had bought a chuck with only 1 set of jaws and had to pay $40+ x 3 for the different jaw sets.

Richard Raffans basic turning books and videos are great and fairly thourough. I really like the Taunton press stuff he's done.
If you want to do bowls, definitely check out Bill Grumbine's "Turned bowls made easy", it's a really great video that goes from log to bowl.

If you want to turn bowls, you'll need a bowl gouge. A 1/2" Thompson V can do pretty much anything you'd want, and turning the handle for it is a great beginner's project. It's also a great deal and will last and hold it's value.

robert hainstock
04-25-2009, 8:38 AM
I agree with what Scott said. Especialy the barracuda chuck. I have used my HF 34706 lathe for the last fifteen years, and have realy enjoyed it. Though it has its limitations, a lot of us creekers have used one. By the way, I paid $259.00 for mine. Happy curlies. :)
Bob

John Fricke
04-25-2009, 9:58 AM
You don't want to visit the poor house? You chose the wrong hobby!!! Vortex sucks away every available dollar.You'll need a sharpening system. Hard to beat sharp tools. Welcome to the creek have fun and turn safe.

Steve Schlumpf
04-25-2009, 10:46 AM
David - in addition to all the good advice you have gotten so far - I recommend finding a local turning club. Nothing will help you learn faster than to have folks with experience actually show you as opposed to reading or watching a video.

John is right about the vortex sucking away any money you have - so put off any major tool investments until you know what type of turning you would like to do. Again - a turning club would be of great help with tools and what does/does not work.

Burt Alcantara
04-25-2009, 11:50 AM
David,
Put a lock on your wallet and turn all of your cash over to someone you can trust.

The biggest problem you will have turning is buying too many things. You will end up with pile of gouges, scrapers, handles, chucks, jaws, measuring thingys, finishing supplies, and MORE, that you will never use.

We are genetically encoded to buy more then we need and things we will never use.

So, with that in mind, try to restrain your self any buy only what you need for that moment in time. And...learn to reuse what you bought. You will learn more using less.

A master chef uses 2 knives - a big one and a small one.

Burt

Stephen Johnson
04-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Get a face shield, things hurt when they fly off and it will happen eventually

David Hostetler
04-25-2009, 6:11 PM
Yeah, I have a face shield. I wear prescription glasses, and wanted additional protection from flying stuff when I started cutting dovetails with the router... It is pretty much on my head any time any power tools are on now...

Scott Conners
04-25-2009, 8:46 PM
David, John is right, a sharpening system is important. You'l need to sharpen gouges often, sometimes every couple of minutes. A slow speed grinder and a jig system make it very easy to learn how. There are lots of options out there, but one fo the most common is the wolverine system with the vari-grind on a 8" slow speed grinder with white wheels.