PDA

View Full Version : I picked up my new lathe today.

Terry Rothwell
04-24-2009, 8:27 PM
I picked up my new Delta 46-460 lathe this afternoon. Here are a few pics of it sitting on a bench in the shop. I will have to build a new bench for it to get it down to a comfortable height for me. The only concern that I have with it is that the tailstock center seems to have a slight wobble to it when running at low speeds. How much is acceptable (if any). I might just run it back to Woodcraft this weekend and let them stick it on one of their machines and check it out for me. Thanks for looking, Terry. 116538

alex carey
04-24-2009, 8:41 PM
Looks like a nice lathe.
Not sure what you mean by wobble.
Make sure to give a review of the lathe once you've tested it. I'm sure people will want to hear about it since it's a new lathe.

Terry Rothwell
04-24-2009, 9:00 PM
Looks like a nice lathe.
Not sure what you mean by wobble.
Make sure to give a review of the lathe once you've tested it. I'm sure people will want to hear about it since it's a new lathe.
I guess what I'm meaning to say is that it seems to have a little run-out when I start and shut off the machine. It may not be an issue when I insatall a blank between centers and tighten it up a bit. It will more than likely be next weekend before I have a chance to build a new bench or modify my existing bench to mount it to. Today is my boys 12th birthday and im gonna spend this weekend with him. Thanks again, Terry.

Bernie Weishapl
04-24-2009, 9:07 PM
Congrats on the new lathe. Looks like a good one.

Jeff Nicol
04-24-2009, 11:40 PM
It looks like it will do the job! A buddy of mine has 2 deltas and they work for him! If you take care of it it will take care of you!

Have fun and turn safe!

Jeff

Jim Kountz
04-24-2009, 11:58 PM
Congrats on the new lathe, be sure to give us a nice review of your experience with it!!

Chris Rae
04-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Congrats on the new lathe, it looks like it should be a nice one!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-25-2009, 1:25 AM
Congrats on the new lathe Terry!

Mike Stephens
04-25-2009, 6:19 AM
Congratulations on the new lathe. I hope it brings you years of happy turning.

Rob Cunningham
04-25-2009, 8:05 AM
Congratulations on the new lathe. I'll be watching for a report after you get it up and running.

Steve Schlumpf
04-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Terry - enjoy your son's birthday!

Congrats on your new lathe! Hope the tailstock issue is minor. Looking forward to hearing how you like the lathe once you have a chance to turn on it! Have fun!

Burt Alcantara
04-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Have you done an alignment test? Could be just a simple adjustment to the tailstock.

Is this a new model? What are the specs?

I can't say I've ever seen this model.

Burt

Andrew Derhammer
04-25-2009, 12:25 PM
If it's used the bearings on the center might be a little worn out. Can you wiggle the center around by hand?

Terry Rothwell
04-25-2009, 2:43 PM
Have you done an alignment test? Could be just a simple adjustment to the tailstock.

Is this a new model? What are the specs?

I can't say I've ever seen this model.

Burt
Here is a link to the specs, it is a new model that has just came out. I did check alignment between the head and tail stock and they were smack on. I talked to a salesman at Woodcraft this morning and explained the problem to him and they are gonna replace the live center for me on Monday. http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19220

Terry Rothwell
04-25-2009, 2:45 PM
If it's used the bearings on the center might be a little worn out. Can you wiggle the center around by hand?
No it cant be wiggled around by hand, it just turns on the bearings a little bit out of round.

Terry Rothwell
04-26-2009, 1:52 PM
I ended up having a little spare time last night so I went ahead and modified my work bench and mounted the lathe. I allowed enough room to add the bed extension that I will hopefully be getting in the future. Thanks for looking, Terry. 116702

Kurt Whitley
04-26-2009, 4:38 PM
Terry,
When you get the chance, could you check to see what the motor plate specifies for amperage?
I'm a bit perplexed that Delta specifies 1HP MAX, I don't know if this is a standard HP rating, or not.
Thanks!

Terry Rothwell
04-26-2009, 8:41 PM
Terry,
When you get the chance, could you check to see what the motor plate specifies for amperage?
I'm a bit perplexed that Delta specifies 1HP MAX, I don't know if this is a standard HP rating, or not.
Thanks!
Here ya go Kurt. V=120AC, HZ=60, PH=1, A=8. As far as HP ratings and all go I am in the dark. I managed to find some time to turn a couple of pens this afternoon and this lathe is SWEET. I love the VS control!

Leo Van Der Loo
04-26-2009, 9:40 PM
Hi Terry, I assume you have the live center problem worked out, the center on my little Delta (previous model) looks like yours, probably the same, just a common low cost center, it has only one ball bearing in them, as I have a Oneway live center, I used that mostly but for the time I need all the length between centers, the Oneway is about 2 inches longer.
Ive always been quite pleased with my little Delta Midi, but a bit larger and more power would be nice at times, and I was thinking of getting a slightly larger one, so if I can be so brazen, what did you have to shell out for yours Terry ??, thank you in advance.

Terry Rothwell
04-27-2009, 5:12 AM
Hi Terry, I assume you have the live center problem worked out, the center on my little Delta (previous model) looks like yours, probably the same, just a common low cost center, it has only one ball bearing in them, as I have a Oneway live center, I used that mostly but for the time I need all the length between centers, the Oneway is about 2 inches longer.
Ive always been quite pleased with my little Delta Midi, but a bit larger and more power would be nice at times, and I was thinking of getting a slightly larger one, so if I can be so brazen, what did you have to shell out for yours Terry ??, thank you in advance.
The lathe cost me $599.00 + tax. The price was virtually the same at Lowe's and Woodcraft.

Kurt Whitley
04-27-2009, 6:00 PM
Here ya go Kurt. V=120AC, HZ=60, PH=1, A=8. As far as HP ratings and all go I am in the dark. I managed to find some time to turn a couple of pens this afternoon and this lathe is SWEET. I love the VS control!

Thanks,Terry.
The Jet 1220vs is rated at 4.5 Amps and is advertised as 3/4hp.
The General International is rated at 8 Amps and is advertised as 3/4hp.
This is pure speculation on my part, but my guess is that the Delta is properly a 3/4hp motor, but that with Jet calling their 4.5 Amp motor a 3/4hp motor, Delta felt the need to make it clear that their lathe has more power (which I think it must) so they rated it as 1hp max.

Maybe someone with a deeper knowledge of motors will confirm or correct me!

Cheers,
Kurt

Terry Rothwell
04-27-2009, 6:49 PM
Thanks,Terry.
The Jet 1220vs is rated at 4.5 Amps and is advertised as 3/4hp.
The General International is rated at 8 Amps and is advertised as 3/4hp.
This is pure speculation on my part, but my guess is that the Delta is properly a 3/4hp motor, but that with Jet calling their 4.5 Amp motor a 3/4hp motor, Delta felt the need to make it clear that their lathe has more power (which I think it must) so they rated it as 1hp max.

Maybe someone with a deeper knowledge of motors will confirm or correct me!

Cheers,
Kurt
The non VS version (46-455) of this lathe is listed as having a 3/4 HP motor.

Leo Van Der Loo
04-28-2009, 12:41 AM
Thank you Terry, that's surely much more than what I paid for the 10" Midi without VS, looks like I have to save some more pennies ;-))

Joe Aliperti
04-28-2009, 1:25 PM
Hey Terry,

Great looking lathe. If you get a chance, could you please measure the lengthwise distance between the bench-mounting bolt holes? Also, the vertical distance from the workbench to the center of the headstock? I've ordered one from Lowe's, but in the meantime I'd like to start building a cabinet for it. Those measurements will help me get a head start.

Thanks and keep us updated with your experience with the machine.

- Joe

EDIT: Nevermind. I just got the call that my lathe is ready to pick up! :)

Terry Rothwell
04-28-2009, 6:34 PM
Hey Terry,

Great looking lathe. If you get a chance, could you please measure the lengthwise distance between the bench-mounting bolt holes? Also, the vertical distance from the workbench to the center of the headstock? I've ordered one from Lowe's, but in the meantime I'd like to start building a cabinet for it. Those measurements will help me get a head start.

Thanks and keep us updated with your experience with the machine.

- Joe

EDIT: Nevermind. I just got the call that my lathe is ready to pick up! :)
Joe the lengthways distance is 30" center to center. Front to back is 3 1/8" center to center. Center line of spindle from base of unit is 14 1/2". Hope this helps, Terry. EDIT: I just saw your edit,LOL. Im sure that you will be happy with it. Be sure to check your live center for true. Mine was out a little and Woodcraft replaced it for me.

Kurt Whitley
05-09-2009, 9:34 PM
Front to back is 3 1/8" center to center.

Terry, I have to believe this is a typo. Is it 6-1/8", maybe?

Thanks,
Kurt

Edit: Never mind. I see that they inset the bolt holes a bit in from the front and from the back. I had assumed the holes were near the outside of the footprint.

Cathy Schaewe
03-04-2010, 12:23 PM
I got my new delta 46-460 yesterday. It's a beautiful lathe, but the live center is wobbly. When I googled, this thread came up, so I thought I'd mention it, as this may be a recurring problem.

You can actually hold the shaft in one hand and wobble the top with the other hand. Of course, this means that the alignment is off, too, in one of the "wobble positions."

I called Delta, and they were absolutely great about it, and are sending me a new one out today.

Mike Minto
03-04-2010, 2:14 PM
oooh, shiny :)...now, get out and make that thing dirty! :D

Steve Mawson
03-04-2010, 4:44 PM
Think you will like this lathe. Mine is over 6 months old and works great. Live center sounds like a manufacturing problem. I have only had one issue and Delta took care of that quickly. Show us some turnings.:cool: