PDA

View Full Version : Shoe Shavings, Don't Bother Me!!

Tony Greenway
04-24-2009, 6:40 PM
Does anybody out there have a suggestion to help keep shavings from filling your shoes when wearing shorts while turning? :(

Ron Lynch
04-24-2009, 6:43 PM
Leave your shoes in the house?

Brian Brown
04-24-2009, 6:47 PM
Fill the area between your socks and shoes with caulk. That will keep it out. :D I suppose you could go get some gaiters from a sporting goods store. They would work really well. The only down side is that you would look like a shaved poodle. :eek::D

Roger Wilson
04-24-2009, 6:53 PM
Does anybody out there have a suggestion to help keep shavings from filling your shoes when wearing shorts while turning? :(

Drop your shorts to cover your shoes or buy leg warmers, they'll cover your shoes. Get them in cotton or they'll be too warm.

alex carey
04-24-2009, 6:55 PM
I wear sandles while turning. Once I have enough shavings on the floor I go barefoot.

Bob Bergstrom
04-24-2009, 7:30 PM
I found a pair of shoes at Sports Authority called Merrill Mocs. They are ankle high and have an elastic collar around the ankle. The collar fits snugly around the ankle. No more shavings in my shoes. I read on another thread of people cutting off the elastic bottoms of sweat pants and pulling them over the ankle

Brian McInturff
04-24-2009, 7:34 PM
:eek::eek: I've never laughed so hard as I have reading some of these answers. On a serious note, Tyvek makes boot covers that have eleastic. Basically like what they give you in the hospital.

Allen Neighbors
04-24-2009, 7:48 PM

:D These work well. The prototypes were in pink,:eek: but I like these better. Denim, with Velcro to fasten around the ankles.

Mike Stephens
04-24-2009, 7:52 PM
I think it's all been covered already. But I think I would have to second the idea Of wearing your shorts around your ankles.:D

Martin Braun
04-24-2009, 7:53 PM
Keep in mind that if you do go barefoot, you need to practice catching sharp objects *between* your toes beforehand.

Steve Schlumpf
04-24-2009, 8:23 PM
When I turn during the summer - I wear flip-flops most of the time. When I do wear shoes - I do not wear socks. Makes it real easy at the end of the day to remove your shoes - tap out the shavings and go about your business!

Glad to see you are stressing about the big things................ life is good!

Peter Lamb
04-24-2009, 8:52 PM
I want to see anyone catch a tool barefooted!!!! Where can you buy tickets? The no socks really helps.
Peter

Bernie Weishapl
04-24-2009, 9:10 PM
My wife took a piece of a old jacket I had. She cut out a couple of circular pieces and put velcro on them. I just velcro them around my legs and they cover the tops of my shoes kinda like a rain coat.

Jim Underwood
04-24-2009, 9:45 PM
Seems someone at the Southern States Symposium... (or was it the Turning Southern Style in Unicoi?) was selling some kind of gaiters to wear over the ankle/shoes.
Bruce Bell bought a pair and loved 'em. He looked quite comical in his shorts and gaiters, but it sure did keep the shavings out of the shoes. :D

Scott Conners
04-25-2009, 12:27 AM
My mom hated rocks she'd get in her boots while climbing scree piles on hikes, so she made some lycra gaiters that went around the ankle and the top of the shoe. They worked really well and were very unobtrusive. I rarely noticed she had them on and she'd forget and wear them around the house. They were basically a rectangle of lycra about 3"x10" that had the long edges elasticized and the short edges could Velcro together. One edge was elasticized to a smaller length then the other, giving different diameters for ankle and shoe. Adjust my measurements to fit your ankles and shoes. If you like low shoes, you might only need elastic at the top to make little collars that lay over the top of your shoes.

I've since seen somewhat similar commercial versions that were a bit bulkier as they were made of heavier non stretchy cloth. You can probably find them at outdoor places like REI (http://www.rei.com/product/782776 would probably work great).

Leo Van Der Loo
04-25-2009, 1:59 AM
Take off your shoes, and wear some clogs, keeps your shoes clean :*>

John Sanford
04-25-2009, 2:53 AM
I want to see anyone catch a tool barefooted!!!! Where can you buy tickets? The no socks really helps.
Peter

Catch a tool barefoot? That's for amateurs! Last month, one of the owners of the shop that hosts the local woodturning group had a slide presentation of his quest for the most primitive lathe in Morocco.

He found a guy who uses his feet to hold the tools. Catching them would be childs play for him.

Oh, and the Moroccan turner doesn't wear shoes, so no shavings in the shoes for him! :D

William Bachtel
04-25-2009, 7:37 AM
I just don't worry about it. Then I use the air compressor.

Matt Ranum
04-25-2009, 10:09 AM
I think it's all been covered already. But I think I would have to second the idea Of wearing your shorts around your ankles.:D

Nude wood turning?:eek:

:p I think shavings in the shoes would be least of my worries at that point.:p

Burt Alcantara
04-25-2009, 11:55 AM
I wear clogs all the time. Never noticed shavings in them. Maybe they are there all the time.