PDA

View Full Version : Ryobi 18V tools question

Jim Rimmer
04-24-2009, 6:25 PM
Several years ago I bought one of the tool packs of Ryobi 18V tools. I know they are not top of the line but they suffice for my shops and I actually find the drills to be pretty rugged. I have since bought new batteries and now they are beginning to not hold a charge for very long.

Question is: I see on the package that the new Li-Ion batteries will work in the old tools but are they that much better? Do they last longer when charged? Are they worht the $$? HD has one battery and a charger for $89.

Lance Norris
04-24-2009, 8:37 PM
Jim... I have many of the One+ tools and have both types of batteries. Yes, the Li-ion batteries are MUCH better. The run time is probably 2x longer than the Nicads. Also, added benefits are no power loss when sitting, charged on the shelf, and the "gas gauge"

Jim Rimmer
04-24-2009, 9:06 PM
Thanks. Looks like it may be worth the extra since I need new batteries anyway. BTW, what is BLO?

Jay Stellers
04-24-2009, 10:18 PM
My guess is that BLO is "Boiled Linseed Oil", but a TLA could represent just about anything.

Lance Norris
04-25-2009, 5:55 PM
BTW, what is BLO?

Jays got it right... Boiled Linseed Oil. I use water based Urethanes because I have a basement shop(keeps down the odor), and to give wood the oil finish look, I use BLO first. I usually use my hands and rub it in. The scent stays on your hands for a couple days. Even the cats like the smell.

Jerome Hanby
04-25-2009, 8:04 PM
I haven't cracked open a One+ Nicad pack, but assuming it's pretty close to a B&D 18 volt pack, it's made up of mini c cells, NiMH versions fo those cells are available. I'm going to rebuild a pack with those cells and see how it works. I'm sure it wont be up the LIon , But I think I'll get longer, stronger run times and be able to use the old chargers... Those cells areavailable on the bay and other sources for a pretty decent price and capacity over 4000 MaH.

Jay Stellers
04-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Jerome,

Let us know how that goes. I've got some trashed one + batteries that won't hold much of a charge. I'd love a way to replenish them without giving away so much money.

Jason Abel
05-01-2009, 8:53 PM
I haven't cracked open a One+ Nicad pack, but assuming it's pretty close to a B&D 18 volt pack, it's made up of mini c cells, NiMH versions fo those cells are available. I'm going to rebuild a pack with those cells and see how it works. I'm sure it wont be up the LIon , But I think I'll get longer, stronger run times and be able to use the old chargers... Those cells areavailable on the bay and other sources for a pretty decent price and capacity over 4000 MaH.

Many people rebuild them themselves but be careful. Not all Sub-C cells are created equal. You need to have high rate / high temp cells. If you get standard cells they will not perform as well and may risk fire on the charger. If you buy from a reputable source you should be fine.

Regards,
Jason
MTO Battery