PDA

View Full Version : Used Delta 14" bandsaw $200

dennis thompson
04-24-2009, 5:01 PM
There is a 14" Delta bandsaw available (from a high school) for $200.
Are Delta bandsaws any good? if yes , is $200 a good price?
It's model 28-203, made in the U. S. A.
Thanks
Dennis

John Bailey
04-24-2009, 5:26 PM
That's a good saw and a good price.

John

Ben Martin
04-24-2009, 6:38 PM
I got the same saw for $250 and thought that I got a heck of a deal. I have yet to use it so I can't tell you much about it's performance, but I have read nothing but good things about them.

george wilson
04-24-2009, 6:41 PM
Does it have the old style hexagonal rod to raise and lower the blade guide? If so,even better.

Myk Rian
04-24-2009, 7:08 PM
Dennis;
Buy it. I just payed $400 for a USA Delta.

Pete Bradley
04-24-2009, 9:12 PM
Could be a good price, could be an overpriced parts machine. The only way to tell is to look at it:

1. Are there cracks, breaks, or missing parts?
2. Does it have a motor? Is the motor single or 3 phase, what voltage? Do you have power for that or will you have to modify it or add a circuit? School machines almost have mag starters, older ones will require you to buy salvage parts if you want to switch voltage.
3. Has it been stored outside, or run for years with a seized bearing so a shaft is ruined?
4. Factor in the cost of belts, bearings, and bands that almost every surplus machine needs to be usable.

Typical 14" school machines are missing small parts like the table insert and they've often suffered "inexperience" damage such as cracked trunnions from overtightening the handles.

Buying an old school machines is a great way to build a nice workshop, but go in with your eyes open. As with any used machine, determine your desired finished cost, subtract all the costs to fix what's wrong, subtract another $75-100 for what you won't find until later, and that will get you close to your starting offer.

Pete

John Bailey
04-25-2009, 7:34 AM
Could be a good price, could be an overpriced parts machine. The only way to tell is to look at it:

2. Does it have a motor? Is the motor single or 3 phase, what voltage? Do you have power for that or will you have to modify it or add a circuit? School machines almost have mag starters, older ones will require you to buy salvage parts if you want to switch voltage.
3. Has it been stored outside, or run for years with a seized bearing so a shaft is ruined?
4. Factor in the cost of belts, bearings, and bands that almost every surplus machine needs to be usable.

Typical 14" school machines are missing small parts like the table insert and they've often suffered "inexperience" damage such as cracked trunnions from overtightening the handles.

Buying an old school machines is a great way to build a nice workshop, but go in with your eyes open. As with any used machine, determine your desired finished cost, subtract all the costs to fix what's wrong, subtract another $75-100 for what you won't find until later, and that will get you close to your starting offer.

Pete

Pete has the best advice.

All used buys depend on the shape of the machine. If this Delta is in good shape, you'll have a winner at that price. If not, go elsewhere unless you want a rebuild project, then offer much less, like "I'll take it off your hands for $10."

John

Bob Aquino
04-25-2009, 7:42 AM

Pete

Condition is always a part of the pricing scheme, but keep in mind that these machines are very common (every chiwanese bandsaw made is a copy of this design) so even if it is missing something, you can probably get a replacement part for it. In decent shape 200 dollars is a very fair price.