PDA

View Full Version : Large Engraved Letters Filled with Rub-n-Buff

Cliff Patrick
04-24-2009, 4:38 PM
I have seen where most people will use Rub-n-Buff on their acrylic jobs and I have used it as well. I think it works great for small pieces that does not have a lot of "area" to be filled. I recently did a job which I will post a picture of later, on a piece of acrylic that was 48x48 that included a large "M" that is approximately 12 inches in height. It also had other letters that was not quite so big. The Rub-n-Buff did well on the smaller letters but the large "M" did not fill so well. It seemed as if it was pretty rough. Does anyone have any suggestions such as - should have I thinned the rub-n-buff down or should have I used a different product to do the filling. If so, what product works well with acrylic? We will be engraving two more pieces for this job at a later time and I am sure they may contain larger letters as well. Any comments or suggestions will greatly be appreciated.

David Fairfield
04-24-2009, 4:55 PM
For a large area, I'd be looking at some type of an inlay, especially when a metallic finish is required. Metallic paints will amplify surface imperfections (thats why they look terrible on wood). There are some gold colored cardstocks that cut well in the laser. If you need something very shiny, and or waterproof, look into having acrylic inlays electroplated, or brass parts cut.

HTH
Dave

I have seen where most people will use Rub-n-Buff on their acrylic jobs and I have used it as well. I think it works great for small pieces that does not have a lot of "area" to be filled. I recently did a job which I will post a picture of later, on a piece of acrylic that was 48x48 that included a large "M" that is approximately 12 inches in height. It also had other letters that was not quite so big. The Rub-n-Buff did well on the smaller letters but the large "M" did not fill so well. It seemed as if it was pretty rough. Does anyone have any suggestions such as - should have I thinned the rub-n-buff down or should have I used a different product to do the filling. If so, what product works well with acrylic? We will be engraving two more pieces for this job at a later time and I am sure they may contain larger letters as well. Any comments or suggestions will greatly be appreciated.

James Stokes
04-24-2009, 6:17 PM
I would cover the acrylic with transfer tape and using a foam roller paint it with acrylic paint myself.

Rodne Gold
04-25-2009, 1:56 AM
For jobs like that , we would use rub n buff (in fact we use gilders paste which is better to apply and about 1/3rd the price) for the small stuff , bigger letters we would cut from either flexibrass or spectrum light and apply it to the pex. Makes for a nice 3d effect. You do get gold coloured perspex as well , you can cut and apply that too.

Cliff Patrick
04-26-2009, 1:11 AM
Here is the picture of the job I was talking about in the original post. Comments/suggestions are welcomed.

Scott Shepherd
04-26-2009, 8:33 AM
Etched glass vinyl put on the backside of it. Would have taken about 15 minutes from start to finish and looked perfect.