PDA

View Full Version : New PM 3520B owner :^) (tool gloat)

Bernie Meyers
04-24-2009, 4:22 PM
I just ordered a Powermatic 3520B.. Upgrading from the Jet 1220 that I bought last year. I have been loving this hobby (obsession?) and my lovely wife said that I've been drooling over the 3520B for a year and I should just buy it. Walked into a Woodcraft store and they had a 20% off Powermatic (and Jet) power tools. That brought the 3520B with 18" bed extension kit (and Powermatic sign) down to $2718 with free delivery to the store. I took it as a sign to buy :)

It should arrive in about 2 weeks. Can't wait. Guess I'll sell my "old" Jet 1220. I think I should be able to do everything on the 3520B that the 1220 handled.

-Bernie

Harvey M. Taylor
04-24-2009, 4:27 PM
And much, much more. Max

John Fricke
04-24-2009, 4:28 PM
You got a good deal. I just took delivery of my 3520b Wednsday. I' hoping to be able to put it through its paces this weekend. Ain't it wonderful to have a loving and understanding wife.? I didn't even have mine assembled yet and she was asking what must have tool was on my wish list now?. "A bigger bandsaw of course" was my response. I must have a safer way to cut up blanks big enough to try out the mustard.:)

Steve Schlumpf
04-24-2009, 5:11 PM
Bernie - Welcome to posting on the Creek! Congrats on your new lathe! Sounds like you made quite the deal! Looking forward to seeing photos of it real soon!

alex carey
04-24-2009, 7:18 PM
That is quite the deal from Woodcraft. Good to hear it and congrats on the lathe.

Brian McInturff
04-24-2009, 7:35 PM
Congrats on the new lathe!!:cool:

Sean Ackerman NY
04-24-2009, 7:59 PM
Bernie, I know we corresponded briefly via email. Congrats on the new mustard, SMOKIN' deal. I'll take 20 at that price! Congrats and enjoy.

Eric Magruder
04-24-2009, 10:47 PM
Welcome Bernie,

You got a great lathe, and a great deal.

As a 3520 owner I have two tips for you when your setting up your lathe;
1. turn off the power feed from the wall when not using the lathe. You can unplug the power cord from the wall outlet, or place a double pole single through switch in line with the feed, or you can use a breaker if your making a new power feed. The basic idea is to turn off power to the control unit when the lathe is not going to be used. Otherwise the control unit is always on.
2. When assembling the lathe bed to the legs, make sure you place the end of the bed with the three taped screw holes toward the tail stock end of the lathe. That will allow you to use the 18" bed extension in the upper position, the legs are also drilled and tapped for using the extension in the lower position for LARGE turnings. Guess who put the wrong end of the bed at the tail stock end.:o Due to the weight factor I had to remove the headstock, tail stock and banjo from the lathe bed in order to get it into my shop, we never noticed the other end was drilled but not tapped.:confused: I'll re-do it some day when I can gather some help.

Happy turning

Cheers, E

marty purselley
04-24-2009, 10:58 PM
I have a 1220 and after I got my big lathe, I kept the 1220 to use as a buffing station. Have fun with the new Mustard!

Jeff Nicol
04-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Bernie, I would keep the jet too! I have 3 lathes and some days I wish I had another one. Some day maybe a giant one! Congrats and enjoy the Vortex as much as I do!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
04-24-2009, 11:40 PM
Bernie welcome to SMC. Congrats on the new lathe. I kept my Jet 1220 VS when I bought my Nova DVR XP. I find I still do small projects on it a lot. I also have a Rikon and use all three.

Burt Alcantara
04-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Bernie,
Welcome to the Mustard Club. You got the best deal on the planet.

While you're waiting scope out the location where the lathe will sit. You don't want to move that mama. BTW, you can assemble the entire lathe yourself. Depending on how you put it together you may need someone to help getting the headstock on and raising the bed from the floor but with help it is easy.

Buy a small can of WD-40 and use it to wipe down the ways when you remember.

Enjoy. The Mustard is a great lathe!
Burt

Ken Fitzgerald
04-25-2009, 2:19 PM
Bernie welcome to SMC. Congrats on the new lathe. I kept my Jet 1220 VS when I bought my Nova DVR XP. I find I still do small projects on it a lot. I also have a Rikon and use all three.

Simultaneously? I'd pay to watch that!:D

John Fricke
04-25-2009, 3:39 PM
Welcome Bernie,

2. When assembling the lathe bed to the legs, make sure you place the end of the bed with the three taped screw holes toward the tail stock end of the lathe. That will allow you to use the 18" bed extension in the upper position, the legs are also drilled and tapped for using the extension in the lower position for LARGE turnings. Guess who put the wrong end of the bed at the tail stock end.:o Due to the weight factor I had to remove the headstock, tail stock and banjo from the lathe bed in order to get it into my shop, we never noticed the other end was drilled but not tapped.:confused: I'll re-do it some day when I can gather some help.

Happy turning

Cheers, E
Why not just slide the headstock off......turn the bed and legs end for end and slide the headstock back on. Seems like that would be easier than refastening the legs.

I have to go check mine now, I'm still waiting on my extension but I didn't realize that only one end had tapped holes.