PDA

View Full Version : Missing character in Lasercut 5.1

Dave Lock
04-24-2009, 3:08 PM
Hi guys,

Hope one of you could help me out on this one. I am using Lasercut 5.1 and it has been functioning as it should.
However, I had the need to use the '£' sign today and while I can see it in the text input field, it doesn't show in the workspace. All other characters show fine.
If for example I input £99.99 I just get 99.99. If I use $99.99, I get exactly that. If I use £ on it's own I just get a box.
It's the same regardless of which font is selected. I have checked the correct keyboard setting are in uses and the latest driver. It's also a new laptop.
All other programs work with the £ character including, as you can see, this great forum :) so it seems it's specific to Lasercut 5.1

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Dave.

Bill Jermyn
04-24-2009, 3:21 PM
Would entering in alt-156 do it? Perhaps your font doesn't have th £ symbol.

Dave Johnson29
04-24-2009, 4:05 PM
so it seems it's specific to Lasercut 5.1

Hi Dave,

Each character on the keyboard and screen has a numeric value to the computer. These are defined in the American Standard Code for Information Interchange (ASCII) table.

I suspect you will not be able to do it. Lasercut was probably (or still is) a DOS program and characters above ASCII value 126 (Tilde ~) are probably filtered out as will be characters below ASCII 32 (blank space) as they are all control characters.

Just a guess, but you could try Bill's suggestion and add a few more.

Hold down the Alt key and using the Numeric keypad 1 5 6 then release the Alt key.

Hit the space-bar and do it again but with 1 5 5 and and again with 1 5 4 see if the box you get changes shape. If the 156, 155 and 154 all look the same then it is filtering out ASCII values above 126 and I cannot see any way around it for you.

Dave Lock
04-24-2009, 5:06 PM
Hi Bill and Dave.

Many thanks for your input.

It seems that this is indeed the case as you suggest. Each of the ALT combinations produce the same result, the same shape and size box. Looks like an email to the software developer is in order to try to find a solution :(

I'll have a look at the ASCII issue to see how, if at all possible, I could swap out the £ and the $ symbol. Wish there was a 'scratching head' smilie, but this'll do :confused:

It's amazing what one can learn from a forum like this.Thanks for your help guys.

Dave.